Diassembly

usafpilot022

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of T5 screws are being used in the very last step on this page? Motorola Droid 2 Teardown - iFixit
I was taking my phone apart and sheared three of them because of the locktite Motorola used. Two came out, the third will need to be drilled. Ergo I will need replacements. Thanks.

bikedude880

Reaction score
First off: You're taking a phone apart, why?

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Use t5, but make sure they r the hollow point ones...that's why ur stripping them out, because standard t screwdrivers don't have a hole n the tip...those screws in your fancy, and expensive, smartphone, are specialized electronic starscrews, go to radioshack...they have a kit for 16$ that will suit your needs just fine for the next go around

OP
U

usafpilot022

Reaction score
touch screen is fubar, doesn't respond half the time i try to touch it, 25% it acts like I'm touching it even though I'm not and works properly the final 25%. Ergo I'm replacing it. So, back to the important part, what type of screws are they and where can I get them?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;WjeptaI2T8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjeptaI2T8E"]YouTube - ‪Short Circuit - No Disassemble!‬‏[/video]

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
touch screen is fubar, doesn't respond half the time i try to touch it, 25% it acts like I'm touching it even though I'm not and works properly the final 25%. Ergo I'm replacing it. So, back to the important part, what type of screws are they and where can I get them?
Do you have a screen protector on it? A friend just told me he went to replace his DX for the same reason. When he pulled off the screen protector, there was a little moisture underneath it(sweat from using it at work). Cleaned it up and it worked perfectly.

OP
U

usafpilot022

Reaction score
No it was doing this stuff before I put a screen protector on it. Thanks for the thought though.

OP
U

usafpilot022

Reaction score
Use t5, but make sure they r the hollow point ones...that's why ur stripping them out, because standard t screwdrivers don't have a hole n the tip...those screws in your fancy, and expensive, smartphone, are specialized electronic starscrews, go to radioshack...they have a kit for 16$ that will suit your needs just fine for the next go around

i didn't strip any screws, i sheared them because Motorola used locktite on them or something.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Just take the ones you did manage to get out to a hardware store or radioshack, theynwould be cheaper@ hardware, but a tough find...radioshack for sure has em, I stripped two of mine out...but,...u can basicly ruin your phone(further) by taking it apart...you have you remove the plastic strip that integrates the camera lens, and th speaker cover to get to a couple screws... ..there's a website you can get the replacements from if you do break the lil plastic piece in half...they use some bada$$ adhesives in their phone making process, so it was a bit of a tedious struggle finding and safely removing all the screws...best of luck to you...ill see if I can dig up that parts link for you

NeXtras

Reaction score
I can't tell from the picture, but they dont look any special screw.. if you need the "Hollow" middle bits, there called Tamper Proof.. they may be reffered to as T5H.. but, invest in a heat gun, the adhesive on the screws will losen up with heat, just becareful not to hold heat there for too long so you dont melt the plastic, or damage the circuit boards

Tdank

Reaction score
Radioshack has them. I went through the same scenario. They were all standard t5 or t3 in mine. No tamper proof screws were used.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums