Developer is not ethical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneSter

Reaction score
**Removed **
cause the guy is a wack job and I do not want to be bothered again from the nerd
All I did is post a comment (in the market place) how the program really is and he sends me a nasty email.
The jist of what this email was.. The developer marks all his bad ratings as spam to remove them... what a great way to keep a 5 star rating

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
I buy a program called qwiklist cause it was rated in the top 101 apps
It does what it says, but was slow and cumbersome (to me). I go to un install it and it WOULD not uninstall? I got the refund, but the program would not go away. I ended up doing a factory reset cause it pissed me off. I leave a comment in his market place telling what happen. The dip **** sends me an email... see below telling me I do not know how to use my phone that I am a competitor and that he marked it as spam to get rid of my comment? Nice way to keep a 5 star program... just delete all the bad ones... Only in america!
Heres his email.
Did you post a comment today about QwikList Voice forcing you to do a factory reset? This doesn't even make sense:

a) You were refunded your 0.99 because the OS and Android Market recognized that you did an uninstall from your device
b) I routinely uninstall and reinstall the application in the process of testing on a real phone
c) I have had over 500 downloads and can (proudly) state that I have an app retention rate of over 70% (the market average from a cursory search is somewhere around 40%). Unequivocally, the other 123 people who didn't want the app were able to uninstall it without issue or even complaint.

I can understand rating an app poorly if it is slow, or crashes unexpectedly, or causes bizarre behavior on your device. I have no other reports of any of this sort of thing happening, and the app is fairly simple in its implementation (no odd multithreading, binding to services, out of application binding) so I wouldn't expect anything like to occur in any event.

Learn to use your device. I have marked your comment as spam. I am willing to go so far as to assume that you are trying to sell a competitor product.

This reminds me of the old Ebay system where a buyer would leave negative feedback due to an issue related to a seller or a purchase. The seller would then go bash the buyer and give them negative feedback making the buyer look bad after they were the issue.

I think that the policy for feedback should be only user based (sellers not allowed to mark it as spam, delete, or change in anyway. Nor should they be allowed to put feedback on their own APPS.

MarkDF

Reaction score
Heres his email.
Did you post a comment today about QwikList Voice forcing you to do a factory reset? This doesn't even make sense:

I can understand rating an app poorly if it is slow, or crashes unexpectedly, or causes bizarre behavior on your device. I have no other reports of any of this sort of thing happening, and the app is fairly simple in its implementation (no odd multithreading, binding to services, out of application binding) so I wouldn't expect anything like to occur in any event.

I've been a software developer for over 25 years, and I'd have to say that the attitude of the developer in the paragraph above (it didn't happen to me therefore it can't happen) is a VERY immature developer attitude. Contrast this with the developers that will respond with questions about how to duplicate the problems, updates and fixes, a willingness to improve their app. Don't know what app they're selling, but I wouldn't buy it.

lockman

Reaction score
Had a similar response from a well known app's developer. Was having an issue. Emailed. Was sent a flame-filled response to a question. Told me I was a moron and didn't know how to use my phone. English was horrible, and totally off point, so I just chalked it up to a language barrier thing.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just another example of why Google needs to start getting control over their market place. It's one thing to be 'open' but it's completely counterproductive to be open to the point where there is so little order and discipline from the developers (and the users at many time, though not in this instance). Being that the Market is a driving factor of the Android platform they really need to start putting effort into making it more functional.

Chris1

Reaction score
Love how the original email got removed by the mod, then quoted in full in the second message :icon_ banana:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Love how the original email got removed by the mod, then quoted in full in the second message :icon_ banana:

That edit was by the OP...

vikasnshah

Reaction score
Right... so, I'm the developer of this app. Let me state for the record:

a) The OP never emailed me, either when he was having problems or in response to the emails that I sent to him. Instead, he just flamed me in the comments section of my app. Communication is a two way street.
b) His is the only comment I have removed. There *are* derogatory remarks about my apps left standing - things that were true at the time that they were written.
c) I am constantly improving, overhauling, fixing bugs, and adding features to the app; you can see this from the changelog on my website Android Apps (www)
d) I am very responsive to emails about problems with my app; no email to me from a user generally goes unanswered for more than 4 hours.
e) I marked the comment as spam because I know the app was uninstalled from his device without the hard reset. How do I know? Because he got a refund of his money. If he couldn't uninstall it without the hard reset, he would have had to email me to get a refund.
f) Devs out there: what would you do if you got flamed with a charge that is on its face ludicrous? All over the web?

Vikas Shah

nerdkill

Reaction score

a) The OP never emailed me, either when he was having problems or in response to the emails that I sent to him. Instead, he just flamed me in the comments section of my app. Communication is a two way street.
b) His is the only comment I have removed. There *are* derogatory remarks about my apps left standing - things that were true at the time that they were written.
c) I am constantly improving, overhauling, fixing bugs, and adding features to the app; you can see this from the changelog on my website Android Apps (www)
d) I am very responsive to emails about problems with my app; no email to me from a user generally goes unanswered for more than 4 hours.
e) I marked the comment as spam because I know the app was uninstalled from his device without the hard reset. How do I know? Because he got a refund of his money. If he couldn't uninstall it without the hard reset, he would have had to email me to get a refund.
f) Devs out there: what would you do if you got flamed with a charge that is on its face ludicrous? All over the web?

Vikas Shah

dude's got a point.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
@vikasnshah

i would have to say that marking that comment as spam wasnt totally legit to do since it didnt really fit under the "spam" definition

"Spam is the abuse of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately."

but i do agree the uninstall issue had nothing to do with your app, ive read many comment of different apps with people that have that problem. im almost 100% sure its just a glitch on their system and not the app in question itself

vikasnshah

Reaction score
I know, I actually debated with myself for a while about whether or not it was OK to do this. Unfortunately, there is no option to 'Mark as Inaccurate Flame' :)

@vikasnshah

i would have to say that marking that comment as spam wasnt totally legit to do since it didnt really fit under the "spam" definition

"Spam is the abuse of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately."

but i do agree the uninstall issue had nothing to do with your app, ive read many comment of different apps with people that have that problem. im almost 100% sure its just a glitch on their system and not the app in question itself

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good response Dev. I checked out your website and really liked what I saw. I'm going to give your app a try. Thanks for coming on the forum and giving your point of view.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
correct...I'm sure you've seen the many threads here on this very same issue. It happens across the board and is not uncommon. Simply reinstall then uninstall again.

vegainey

Reaction score

Vikas Shah

With over 20yrs Dev experience, what would I do? I can tell you what I would NOT do. I would NOT assume the user is lying.

You don't KNOW that the App was uninstalled.

You might KNOW that his phone reported back to the marketplace that the App was uninstalled, and you might assume that if everything worked as intended, the app should have been unistalledfrom his phone.

But, unless you have his phone in your hand so you can see it, you don't KNOW it uninstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.