Desktop disappears

JB4times4

Reaction score
Ok, so randomly (like this morning) I wake up and grab my phone to check my messages, emails, etc. and unlock the phone. Then BAM no icons/widgets on any of my 3 desktops. the slide out thinggy still has all my apps, but nowhere on my desktop. I restart my phone and it's back to normal. Any ideas?

Slider46

Reaction score
Sounds like the launcher is crashing. Is this a recent problem? Have you added any new apps lately?

OP
J

JB4times4

Reaction score
It did it a while back, so I did a factory reset and it stopped but just started doing it again. When I did the factory reset it kept all my apps so I'm not sure if that could still be the problem.

Slider46

Reaction score
It did it a while back, so I did a factory reset and it stopped but just started doing it again. When I did the factory reset it kept all my apps so I'm not sure if that could still be the problem.

There's obviously something wrong then. The factory reset is supposed to reset the phone back to factory settings - no apps, data, etc.

If you're not rooted, i'd suggest taking it into a Verizon store.

OP
J

JB4times4

Reaction score
There's obviously something wrong then. The factory reset is supposed to reset the phone back to factory settings - no apps, data, etc.

If you're not rooted, i'd suggest taking it into a Verizon store.
I installed a release of 2.1 before I got the OTA update, could that have done it?

Are you using a different launcher such as Helix2?
Nope.

Slider46

Reaction score
I installed a release of 2.1 before I got the OTA update, could that have done it?

So I take it your rooted? I'd do a complete wipe with SPRecovery (or whatever recovery firmware you have loaded)

OP
J

JB4times4

Reaction score
I'm not rooted I don't think, they said put this update.zip (i think) on your sd card and boot into recovery or whatever and select install from sd card so thats what I did.

[EDIT]
Bump.

mslal

Reaction score
This has happened to me also, 3 times since my OTA 2.1 - non-rooted. Battery pull to restore. Haven't tried factory reset yet. Its just an annoyance.

skagmire

Reaction score
I have had issues like this myself with stock 2.1
I've found that if you run the 'news and weather' app (the new in 2.1 one) and then kill it with Advance Task Killer then my screen will go black but after a few seconds (3-4) all of my icons and widgets will reappear.
Also, this only seems to happen if you kill news and weather without running anything after it.

I hope this helps if it is applicable.

OP
J

JB4times4

Reaction score
I have had issues like this myself with stock 2.1
I've found that if you run the 'news and weather' app (the new in 2.1 one) and then kill it with Advance Task Killer then my screen will go black but after a few seconds (3-4) all of my icons and widgets will reappear.
Also, this only seems to happen if you kill news and weather without running anything after it.

I hope this helps if it is applicable.

Unfortunately I'm not running the news and weather app, or a task killer. Glad to see others have this problem as well though.

OP
J

JB4times4

Reaction score
I just slid out my keyboard and when it tried to change orientation the icons disappeared. another thing I've noticed is the incoming call screen doesn't load the graphics properly. I'll get a screen pic soon to show that as well.