Derby the Dog Now Runs Thanks to 3D Printed Prosthetic Legs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's an Off Topic news flash to warm your heart and get you a little choked up on this hum drum Wednesday morning. The above video shows off the creative power of technology and how it can improve the lives of those we care about.

Derby the Dog was born with deformed minuscule front legs. This basically left him in a state in which he must crawl around, pushing himself with his back legs. Then, Tara Anderson entered his life. She fell in love with Derby and adopted him, and at first she outfitted the pup with some wheels that allowed him to get around pretty well. Unfortunately his movements were still pretty limited, especially his pivoting capabilities.

However, it just so happens that Anderson also works as 3D Systems’ director of CJP product management. She teamed up with her co-workers to use the 3D printing technology form their company to create prosthetic "limbs" for Derby. The results were astounding, and now little Derby can run around like all the other dogs and actually keeps up with Anderson and her family when out and about.

It's amazing what the creative spirit can accomplish!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Awesome. Just hope they're keeping an eye on the stubs and padding. I could see these things wearing on the poor dogs legs pretty quick. Need to be sure he's working up some callouses and not just rubbing his fur off and his skin raw.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Thanks for sharing this story, I love it. Even when he didn't have those "legs" he was one happy camper, I freaking love dogs!

realged13

Reaction score
As a Husky owner, this just breaks my heart. I don't get to run with her as much as I did before the baby, but now we are going to go for a really long run.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My wife has called me heartless for stuff like this. I personally would have had the dog put down. I'm sorry, its a pet. I keep my dogs vaccinated and healthy but when it comes to stuff like this, I consider it humane to put the animal down.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying @johnomaz

Some people have extra financial and mental resources to make this happen. If that's the case, then dogs like this finding people like that, is a great fit.