Deleted Gmail Account & Can't Add it Back

netspirit

Reaction score
I had two Gmail accounts, the 2nd one being my Google Apps work account. I had no problem adding it on the 15th of July when I got my phone. I removed it tonight to see if I could get it to be my primary account so I could sync Calendar to it. Removing it didn't help with that, so I decided to just settle with it being my 2nd account. Now I can't add it back!!! Everytime I put in my username & password, I get an error message "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server". I am so mad at myself for deleting this account because it was for work and I REALLY need it on my phone.

What am I doing wrong? How can I add my Gmail Apps account back? I thought Android and Google were all connected, so this shouldn't be a such a problem.

After 3 hours of trying to fix my account, I'm soooo frustrated! Can anyone tell me how to fix this without resetting my phone?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did you try a battery pull to sort of reset the software.

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
No, but I'll try that and see if it helps. I did try to get the battery out a while back and never could get it out. It seemed really stuck in the case. If you know of a trick, let me know. But I'm going to try again right now and see if that helps. Thanks!

murfeezlaw

Reaction score
Battery pull didn't work

i'm having the same problem. i tried to delete a google account and I accidentally deleted the wrong one. I can't seem to get it back which makes no sense. it was there.

I just did a battery pull and will see if that works...nope didn't work.

On another note...to get the battery out you need to pull that little tab that lays under the battery. It says "Pull" and has an arrow. if it isn't there you may have thought it was supposed to come out and get thrown away like i did. luckily i put it in my Droid box and hadn't thrown it out yet. that tab is part of a large backing that sticks to the battery compartment so when you pull the tab the battery comes out. very good idea...probably the easiest batterty to take out out of all my cells.

if you don't have it maybe Verizon can give you another one. it's just a giant sticker with a tab to pull.

let me know if you come up with anything to add the account back. i deleted my work account so i'm kinda screwed right now until i can get it back.

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
Sigh... taking out the battery and putting it back in didn't fix my problem either. This account was my work email too, so this is not at all good. I'm still looking for an answer. I tried setting up Outlook today with Google Apps, thinking I could sync it to my other google account. But I cannot get that to work either. I am suppose to set up Imap in my settings, but my work has disabled that. I should never have deleted that working account!

Thanks for the tip on the battery. I never saw that tab, so I'm guessing the guy who set it up for me at Verizon took it out. I finally got the battery out and I'll see if I can get a tab to put back in it.

If I figure anything out, I'll post it here.

DroidXq

Reaction score
Try this cluge fix -- dumb and clunky, but may help until you get a proper fix. Create a gmail account (if you want to keep them separate), add it to your phone, then set your work account to automatically forward everything to your new account. Also set the Reply To option on the new account to your work account. If you don't need to reply form your work account, you can forward everything ot your existing aco****.

kdkinc

Reaction score
This may be related to the issue...

When I first got my DX I used one of my Google address to use on the DX. I bought some software using that Google mail addresses.

I now use another Google address after a factory reboot .

When I try to update my original software I bought it won't let me because my system email does not match.

Google says to factory reboot and use original Google email to get update of the soft ware I bought

Pain in the butt I'd rather be out $2.99 than go through that again.

SOOOO you might have to factory reboot and use the original email to setup your device to get it back.

ONLY A possible solution.... ANYONE ????

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
DroidXq... I went ahead and had all my email from one gmail account forwarded to the primary Gmail account that is set up on my DroidX. I am getting all the email under Gmail now, but I also seem to get a copy of my sent messages, which is a pain. I am now working on fixing that issue.

Another workaround that I am doing with Calendar is this: I use Outlook and so I enter all my events there. Then I downloaded Google Sync. I first sync with my Primary Gmail Account which goes on my DroidX. Then I change the username and password on the Google Sync (systray) and Sync with my work Calendar. This seems to be working ok, but it is not the perfect solution by any means.

What bums me out is that on the very first day I had my phone, when I knew NOTHING about how to set up a Gmail account on Droid, I set up two different accounts with ease by just typing in my username and password. I had two different google accounts (not the Email accounts, but Google accounts) and could select which one should show up when I clicked on Gmail. I was really surprised that I was able to set up my Google Apps account with a different domain name, but somehow I did it.

After removing the one account (stupid me), I can't add ANY of my other Gmail accounts back. Not the Google Apps account and not even another regular Gmail account. I don't know if it is because I can't remember what I did to make it work OR if something changed on my phone.

I have purchased a lot of software too and so I guess I don't want to change my primary account now, but I would like to have the two separate Gmail accounts back. I would set up one Gmail account as the Email account, but the techs at my work have not turned on imap or pop for the Google Apps email and so I have no way to get it to work.

A factory reset seems like too much trouble just to get an email account to work. What I am hoping for is the Froyo update to fix everything.

xbenzerox

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem! I didn't even delete my email account, it just wasn't there all of a sudden. But every time I try to add it back, same issue. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
Yes, this IS very frustrating. The battery pull did not fix the problem. According to all of the manuals and forums, you are SUPPOSE to be able to set up more than one gmail or google apps mail account on your Droid. But I can only set up one gmail account. I cannot set up my other gmail account OR my google apps mail account without getting the error message, "can't establish a reliable connection to server"

I have tried everything and have searched every forum. I am hoping that the upgrade to 2.2 will fix the problem. For now, I have all my emails forwarded to the one Gmail account that will download to my Droid. But that is a real pain since I don't want the emails mixed.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am not sure if this helps or not but I am on the leaked version of 2.2 and I have my main gmail account and my gmail from school on there and it works just fine.

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
Ok.. that sounds promising...

Did you set up your school google account (I am guessing it is a Google Apps Account?) by going to Add Accounts and then choosing Google? And if so, did you sign in with your whole email address with the domain as your username? Again, I am guessing that you would have to do that if it is a Google Apps account, because it will have a different domain than @gmail.com.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes it is a google apps account and yes went to add accounts and chose google. Then for log in put the email address in full with proper domain for school instead of@ gmail. And when I launch the gmail app I can click on the address in the top right and choose which one I want to see the inbox or. Same for when I am sending an email.

OP
N

netspirit

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.. It helps me to know that I am trying to set it up correctly. I guess I'll have to watch for the froyo update. I'm a little afraid to try and root the phone on my own. I can't afford another one if I destroy it. HA.