default/factory apps - can I remove them?

jliller

Reaction score
I know I will never use some of the default/factory apps that came with my phone (Company Calendar, Email of the non-Gmail variety, Visual VM). But they don't show up when I go to Settings -> Apps -> Manage Apps. Is there another way?

(Caveat: new Droid user on first smartphone.)

Thanks!

silkylabie

Reaction score
Bewildered

There never seems to be a response past the application is rooted. Has anyone provided a step-by-step procedure fom removing factory apps?

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
From my understanding is you need to have the appear to get the updates from Verizon but if you don't want that just root your phone and use any freezer or most back up programs will freeze the app so you never see em till defrost for upgrades.
You can't remove em without root because they paid Verizon good money to be on there(is my guess)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

vey

Reaction score
There never seems to be a response past the application is rooted. Has anyone provided a step-by-step procedure fom removing factory apps?

Then I used Titanium Backup to remove them. First I froze them to make sure I didn't need them, used things for a while to make sure, then I uninstalled them. Updates may reinstall them.

silkylabie

Reaction score
Then I used Titanium Backup to remove them. First I froze them to make sure I didn't need them, used things for a while to make sure, then I uninstalled them. Updates may reinstall them.
What is "Titanium Backup"? Where do I get it? and what do you mean by "freezing"?

vey

Reaction score
What is "Titanium Backup"? Where do I get it? and what do you mean by "freezing"?

It is in the -- I don't know the proper name anymore -- Market, Play App, whatever, Store. After you have it installed, look at the batch function. First thing you want to do is click the button that unticks everything. Then tick the things you want to get rid of.

There is a pay version, and I paid later, but I am not sure you have to pay to get what you want.

meishkov

Reaction score
It is in the -- I don't know the proper name anymore -- Market, Play App, whatever, Store. After you have it installed, look at the batch function. First thing you want to do is click the button that unticks everything. Then tick the things you want to get rid of.

There is a pay version, and I paid later, but I am not sure you have to pay to get what you want.

hahaha, good call on the "market". Yea thank goodness I paid for TiBu back when it had a deal like 2 years ago, never thought I'd be using it as much as I do, not so much nowadays because of lack of dev'ing goin on for the OG, but for backing up apps and data and restoring it's second to none, flawless. I think you can just go into Backup/Restore at the top and it'll list everything right there, alphabetically. Makes it a little easier to read cuz I remember, atleast on mine, when in Batch the font for app names seems to be much bigger. And Batch is more for selecting big groups of apps, atleast that's what I use it for. Took me awhile to realize I had a "Filters" option to select and save certain items hahaha. :icon_ lala:

vey

Reaction score
but for backing up apps and data and restoring it's second to none, flawless. I think you can just go into Backup/Restore at the top and it'll list everything right there, alphabetically. Makes it a little easier to read cuz I remember, atleast on mine, when in Batch the font for app names seems to be much bigger. And Batch is more for selecting big groups of apps, atleast that's what I use it for. Took me awhile to realize I had a "Filters" option to select and save certain items hahaha. :icon_ lala:

They have added a lot of new features to Titanium Backup in the last couple of years. It can move apps to the SD card that "can't" be done. It can freeze apps. It can uninstall built in apps. All kinds of things that a normal backup program can't do.