Deactivate use of the "Verizon data network"?

dmfw

Reaction score
I am considering the Eris. However, is there a way to deactivate use of the "Verizon data network" when using the web browser. Eg. Force the use of WI-FI.

If not, is there a setting or app that will warn the user when they connect to the "Verizon data network"?

Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Keep it in airplane mode...with wifi on.

Mojo

Reaction score
Uh... just turn the WiFi on :blink: You have me wondering why you would be concerned to connect to VZW data network? Since the phone requires an unlimited data plan...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And your paying for it....

Unless you plan on just using it a non-connect toy.

rcklss1

Reaction score
If your still looking for the phone functionality just go under settings wireless controls and turn off mobile network..... phone still works just no data with out WiFi

TekHawk

Reaction score
Curious why you would want to do this if you found someway to get it without the data plan Id be interested in hearing a few friends have wanted to get it but the data plan stops them

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Curious why you would want to do this if you found someway to get it without the data plan Id be interested in hearing a few friends have wanted to get it but the data plan stops them

That's highly unlikely. If they did find a way around it, I doubt they would be asking such questions.

OP
D

dmfw

Reaction score
Re the "unlimited data plan" question.

I was told that Verizon had 2 data plans, unlimited and per KB.

If you sign up for the unlimited data plan, you can then switch to the per KB option. You can use the phone's web with WI-FI but not the the VZ network.

Researching if this is true.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Re the "unlimited data plan" question.

I was told that Verizon had 2 data plans, unlimited and per KB.

If you sign up for the unlimited data plan, you can then switch to the per KB option. You can use the phone's web with WI-FI but not the the VZ network.

Researching if this is true.

There is only an unlimited plan for smartphones. No Cap
Plan for air cards are capped at 5gb.

TekHawk

Reaction score
You might want to double check that with the PDA department over the phone they are rather helpful but from what i have been told asking a few times now at the offical VW store in town they no longer offer anything but the new Smartphone plan for alot of these phones now if you do have success with this though im sure alot of people would be glad to hear it

Izeltokatl

Reaction score
Disable Verizon Data

Yes, this is possible. If you add the HTC widget "Mobile" this disables use of the Verizon Data network. I turn it off when I don't need data, and just want wifi, or just want to save battery for awhile.

Press and hold empty spot on one of your home screens > HTC Widget > Settings > Mobile Network

now you'll have a widget to simply disable the data usage.

you can also use bluetooth to disable bluetooth, GPS for GPS and Wi-Fi for Wifi. The Airplane mode disables ALL wireless features including voice/txt. The only thing you can't disable on your own is JUST the voice/txt features... but im trying to figure out how to do that.