Data Loss?

chewy74

Reaction score
Weird issue yesterday...I noticed my Handcent widget wasnt displaying any text messages and I checked it out to find all of my text messages deleted. I looked through handcent app and the native SMS app and didnt notice any options that if enabled- would delete all messages after xyz is met.

anyone else experienced random data loss like this?

packetdog

Reaction score
Weird issue yesterday...I noticed my Handcent widget wasnt displaying any text messages and I checked it out to find all of my text messages deleted. I looked through handcent app and the native SMS app and didnt notice any options that if enabled- would delete all messages after xyz is met.

anyone else experienced random data loss like this?
Yea dude, that happens. It's new, happened on my ROM'd Droid, and on my wife's stock droid. My interim solution is automatic daily backups w/ ROM manager. I'd love to find the root cause. Cheers.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

DroidEric

Reaction score
My twitter widget periodically asks for me to sign in again.

mills

Reaction score
Wow, can't believe you guys didn't know about this.

Android's system is set up (unless you change the default setting) to automatically delete text/SMS after you receive more than a certain number.

Go to messaging > settings > text message limit. Uncheck "delete old messages"

packetdog

Reaction score

Android's system is set up (unless you change the default setting) to automatically delete text/SMS after you receive more than a certain number.

WRONG. Not this issue. That setting is (AND WAS) off on both phones where I encountered this issue. I've had this issue happen MULTIPLE TIMES. This setting is not enabled.

RoyR80

Reaction score

Sorry friend, i too have encountered this, before rooting, on 2.1 I was aware of that setting and it was appropriate. :-/ idk what causes/caused it. (morel of the story: its a ghost-bug in the system, it just happens)

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
I also knew about the setting and still text loss. I had a day old nandroid backup so I was lucky.

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
Just lost all my sms again. This is now the second time in less then a month.

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
Thankfully I had one from last night

packetdog

Reaction score
Thankfully I had one from last night

That's how it happened to me. It happened once, then the next week I lost it again. Thanks to ROM Manger daily backups I don't have to worry about that. Please let me know if you guys find a real fix, not a band-aid.

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
funny thing was when i restored, i lost about 3 apps from my app tray...they were still installed on my phone, but was missing from my app tray. so i had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to show again...

be nice if someone looked into this

RoyR80

Reaction score
funny thing was when i restored, i lost about 3 apps from my app tray...they were still installed on my phone, but was missing from my app tray. so i had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to show again...

be nice if someone looked into this

u use launcher pro? it can hide app/icons .... maybe it go a lil jinky on ya?