Data loss.

ghart53

Reaction score
I flashed forever root, and the 893 update then R3BLURR3D 2.0 as per instructed. I now have much much more data loss than previous. 3g doesn't work anymore, and I keep having to force my phone onto 4g with airplane mode on/off, or a reset. Anyone else having more data loss after upgrading to 893, or is that just me?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
G

ghart53

Reaction score
Well maybe flashing forever root was the wrong way to say it, I used the forever root method would be more accurate.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I flashed forever root, and the 893 update then R3BLURR3D 2.0 as per instructed. I now have much much more data loss than previous. 3g doesn't work anymore, and I keep having to force my phone onto 4g with airplane mode on/off, or a reset. Anyone else having more data loss after upgrading to 893, or is that just me?

I've had no issue such as this. I just tested the hand-off from wifi to 3G. The 3G was up to full speed within seconds of terminating the wifi connection. I can't test 3G to 4G and back right now because I'm in an area with no 4G. Actually yours is the first bad report I've read after switching to .893. Others that have had the data drop issue have reported that updating to .893 solved it for them.

If it was me, I'd redo the whole process. I know the thought of that sucks, but I know it is what I would do.

OP
G

ghart53

Reaction score
I suppose I'll redo the process, just wanted to see if it was only me because I too read that the data loss issue was mostly resolved after updating to 893.

ServerGremlin

Reaction score
I am new too rooting and have had several issues with data loss. I have been rooted since I got my new bionic and am currently using the Th3ory rom Blurr3d v1.8 I believe it is. I love it by the way great Rom. anyway I am unsure how to get the 893 update that is said to correct this since I am currently rooted what would be the procedure for getting this update? Sorry for the newb question but I am trying :)

ServerGremlin

Reaction score
I read up on 893 update a bit it seems what I read I will not be able to unroot.... I am a bit nervous about that in case I have issues related to manufacturer will I be able to unroot device? Just curious your thoughts should I even worry about this... or just go with the flow :)

OP
G

ghart53

Reaction score
I read up on 893 update a bit it seems what I read I will not be able to unroot.... I am a bit nervous about that in case I have issues related to manufacturer will I be able to unroot device? Just curious your thoughts should I even worry about this... or just go with the flow :)
[ROOT] R3L3AS3D W/FOR3V3R ROOT V1.0 LINUX/WINDOWS (Get ROOT after 893 OTA OOPS) - RootzWiki This link will instruct you on how to flash your Bionic back to 886 and give you foreverroot. If you are on 893, and sbf, or fxz as it's called now, back to 886 you will lose root access, so unrooted, and then if you use the method in the link again, it will give you root back. It's kind of a back and forth process, but it does work.

*Edit: If you want the 893 update, you will have to use the cheescake method after obtaining forever root. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...erfect-bionic-cant-wait-update-heres-how.html On this page you'll find the download for cheesecake, and instructions on how to do it. You can skip everything up to cheesecake on this page if you use the file in the first link I posted.

OP
G

ghart53

Reaction score
On another note, during the process in the file supplied in the link, you can just unplug your device after it restores it to stock, and it won't root if you do so. Then you can choose at a later date to root using either the same program, or the regular one click root, depending on what you plan to do.

coradon42

Reaction score
Ive experienced the same loss in signal and have been dropping to 3g alot now that im running .893. Ive been running. 893 for about 24 hours now trying it out with different the the roms we have available. Ill run .893 for a bit longer to see if it clears up. If not im going back to .886

crashx2

Reaction score
I've been running the .893 update for two days without a lost connection. I was almost ready to give up on this phone, but now I love it!

unboostedzc

Reaction score
i flashed .893 to try to get rid of the data issues i've had since pretty much day 1 with mine. originally i would have issues transitioning from 4G>3G, then bluetooth would drop my 4G, then after ending phone calls i couldn't pick any data back up without an airplane mode reset.

right after flashing .893 and 2.0 it seemed great, but shortly thereafter it has gotten worse. thinking of going back to .886, though the radio/kernal is going to stay the same.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i flashed .893 to try to get rid of the data issues i've had since pretty much day 1 with mine. originally i would have issues transitioning from 4G>3G, then bluetooth would drop my 4G, then after ending phone calls i couldn't pick any data back up without an airplane mode reset.

right after flashing .893 and 2.0 it seemed great, but shortly thereafter it has gotten worse. thinking of going back to .886, though the radio/kernal is going to stay the same.

I did the .893/Th3ory V2.0 thing as soon as it was all available. I was one of the first to report that my data issues were greatly improved. Living in the country I could only test it with the wifi to 3G hand off and it was working great and reconnecting to 3G really quickly if not instantaneously. Well, I went to town today and checked the 3G to 4G hand off and it was terrible. I had to do the Airplane mode thing twice before I got 3G back!! I was so disappointed. And then tonight I did a nandroid backup and after rebooting I went to Root Explorer to rename it so I would know exactly what it represented. I was in the process of typing the name and adding that it was unthrottled and that's when it hit me. The only difference from when the data hand off was working to when it wasn't working was UNTHROTTLED. I had run the script. I immediately went to the script and ran the restore and rebooted. And by the way, that reboot took forever. I really thought I was caught in a loop. But after it rebooted, the immediate hand off from wifi to 3G was back!!! I know this is only one data point, but it working right now for me (again!!)!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did the .893/Th3ory V2.0 thing as soon as it was all available. I was one of the first to report that my data issues were greatly improved. Living in the country I could only test it with the wifi to 3G hand off and it was working great and reconnecting to 3G really quickly if not instantaneously. Well, I went to town today and checked the 3G to 4G hand off and it was terrible. I had to do the Airplane mode thing twice before I got 3G back!! I was so disappointed. And then tonight I did a nandroid backup and after rebooting I went to Root Explorer to rename it so I would know exactly what it represented. I was in the process of typing the name and adding that it was unthrottled and that's when it hit me. The only difference from when the data hand off was working to when it wasn't working was UNTHROTTLED. I had run the script. I immediately went to the script and ran the restore and rebooted. And by the way, that reboot took forever. I really thought I was caught in a loop. But after it rebooted, the immediate hand off from wifi to 3G was back!!! I know this is only one data point, but it working right now for me (again!!)!!

Another thing I noticed last night about this issue is: When I turn off wifi even though it takes the 3G icon 10 -20 seconds to turn blue, I now actually have 3G immediately. Again, I think undoing the Unthrottling script is what made this problem go away and I get 3G back immediately, but the 3G icon doesn't change to blue nearly as quickly as the data comes back. YMMV!