D1 gallery problem

jethro

Reaction score
I made a .nomedia directory on the sdcard and moved one pic to it to see how it worked. Now my gallery is saying there are no pics at all. But all the pics and movies are still on the sd card.

Any suggestions?

I should also say that yesterday I loaded a movie (had 2 others already), and it took a really long time for the gallery to recognize it. After it recognized the movie, it was quite some time before it would "unpixelize" (for lack of the right word lol) most of the photos.

Edit: I deleted the .nomedia file and all the pictures (and movies) are back in the gallery. I'm going to try it again and see what happens if I wait longer this time. Is there any reason why the gallery would take so long to update after changing something so minor, or is that the norm?

billyidle

Reaction score
.nomedia blocks the gallery from showing the images. Remove it from your sdcard

The proper useage would be creating .nomedia INSIDE of a directory, not in the root of your sdcard. For instance, create a folder called Girlfriends, put pics of various girlfriends in it, then place .nomedia within the Girlfriends folder. Now the gallery will not see Girlfriends.

By placing it on the root of your sdcard, you block all media from that point on from being seen.

As far as your phone taking awhile to see new files on the card...either remount the card manually, or download SDRescan from the market.

montlyfool

Reaction score
I created a directory called .zzz. It is the . in front of the name that blocks the gallery from seeing it.
You can create a directory called mymedia on your sdcard and put your stuff there and the gallery should recognize it.

OP
J

jethro

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I must have misread something. I don't have any pics to hide, I was just bored and wanted to see how it worked. I'm not overly tech savvy, but I like to tinker and know how things work.

billyidle

Reaction score
Any folder (including the root of your SD card) with .nomedia in it, will hide any media. If you put .nomedia in Folder A, no media will show, Folder B would still show its media. If you put .nomedia in the root directory of the SD card, neither A or B will show media.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you put .nomedia in Folder A, no media will show, Folder B would still show its media.
Unless B is a subfolder of A. That's why .nomedia at the root of the SD card blocks scanning of the entire SD card (subfolders under the folder with the .nomedia file are affected as well).

billyidle

Reaction score
As seen from other posts of yours, you love correcting people's statements when there is no correction needed. Thanks :)