Curious what to check out on a CLNR Droid 1

Raziel

Reaction score
I have an original Droid, and the keyboard started bubbling and peeling from below the spacebar. I called, and they over-nighted me a replacement. CLNR device, and I have had nothing but bad luck with these on different phone manufacturers, and I've also watched the forums (various ones all with similar results). None are specific on what to check on before accepting the phone as a worthy replacement.

Suggestions?? I know to check the slider, make sure it's straight and not bent, keyboard needs checked, headphone jack needs checked, as well as physical damage to the phone (scratched, dinged up, visual abuse, etc), but anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks in advance for the assistance in this nightmare which I fear is just beginning...

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
Lets see what happens.....

Well, picked up the phone from FedEx. Opened it and it's a droid. Opened and closed the slider, and it seems nice and tight. Just have to see what happens. Buttons seem to be in order, without being soft/or pushed in farther than what I'd expect. I'm checking the spacing with the slider, and it's looking fine. So that's a good thing, and the only thing different is the keyboard. The original one I have is bubbled for the keys, and this is the absolute flat keyboard. So that's something I'll have to get used to. Is this the way the keyboard is supposed to be, or is it to be bubbled for each key? Not sure, don't remember the way mine was when it was from the store.

Now it's time to power it up and see what happens.

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
Well, spoke too soon!!

Well, spoke too soon, keyboard is peeling up at the spacebar just like my original. So, time to go back to a V-store, have someone look at it and verify that it IS messed up, and send it back and request ANOTHER one. Lets see how many it takes to get a good one, or have a different resolution...

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
well, lets see what CLN Crap #2 is...

They are sending me another CLNR for Saturday delivery. Just have to see what this one turns out to be like. For some reason, I don't think it's a good idea to hold my breath....

fox_dye

Reaction score
I would put it through some paces before you send the old one back. Use it for a full day and use it hard before you send the old one back. Check all your favorite programs, take plenty of pics and videos to check the camera, and run through the hard keyboard to make sure all the buttons work. Make sure the buttons aren't too loose and make sure you can transfer data to and from your PC.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
well, I got a direct replacement from the local V-store. It SEEMED like it was a good one when I got it, now the vibrate is like, well sounds like there's rocks inside that's causing the vibrate. They have 2 more, and one has a weak slider, so that means just one, and I don't think that was any better slider wise. So I might just have to order another to be shipped, yet again. So the games continue...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That sucks. Where are you located? I ask because if it's a particularly hot and humid place it might explain the keyboard peeling on two devices.

mac5217

Reaction score
HEADPHONE JACK! Had problems with 2 CLNR...plug the headphones in jigglee it around slightly to make surenthere is no distortion and BOTH sides are working.

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
I'm located in Pennsylvania, so it's not uncommonly humid or hot here. But, at the same token, I've never had good luck with the CLNR phones from Verizon. The one that I received today was a NEW phone, and it had the keyboard issue right from the start (curling up on the lower left hand side & along the spacebar). So, now I'm up to the 3rd CLNR in under 24 hours. How's that look for quality control??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel because the D1 isn't being made anymore.

At this point start asking about an upgrade. They'll have to give you one eventually.

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
I just bought this phone in June. I'm not in the market to spend money on another phone, unless they are replacing this with a Droid 2 on their own dime, that's the issue right now. Or was that what you were referring?? I've already been confirmed that they'll be replacing with the Droid 2 in the not too distant future because now, the BB-Storm replacements (warantee) is the Storm 2.

Just have to keep playing the games. Not saying i'd not like a Droid 2, but if they can't give me a Droid that works properly, then they may have to entertain that idea. Just don't want the expense to replace the docks that I have for my droid (have one for work and one for home).

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah. If you can't get an acceptable D1 for a replacement they HAVE to upgrade you. So keep at it. If you jump through enough hoops you'll have a 955 in your hands. But only if they cannot provide you with an acceptable D1.

OP
R

Raziel

Reaction score
Well, at least the docks & such all are interchangeable with the D1 and D2. I'm going to take this one back to the store to see what happens next. I'd rather deal with a real person than deal with someone that is on the phone. At least in person they can SEE the frustration in your face & body language than just hearing you on the phone. Seems to make a difference, and that's nice.

Just have to see what happens next and go from there.