Creating and Restoring to a backup using CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5

darthbird1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I created a backup using CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5. It said "Backup complete!". If I try to restore to that backup I just made, Will It Work? Because when I installed CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5 the guy in the video said something about this being still tested (but the video is like a month or two old). I just dont want to brick my phone if I try restoring to that backup. Any ideas anyone?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If it said backup complete, then you should have no problem restoring that backup. I haven't heard of anyone not being able to.

matthskim

Reaction score
Slighly different question. I made a backup with an earlier version and renamed it to include a rom's identity. When I tried to restore it later, it failed. Do you know why it failed?
Secondly, can you restote a backup file with a later version of CWRM?
I would appreciate your answer.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should be backwards compatible.

If you changed the name the md5 hash check will fail.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

matthskim

Reaction score
Thanks.

Then, is there a way to change the name of the backup file made in Bootstrap?

Or can you make a backup using Rom Managet, where you can name your file, and restore the file in Bootstrap?

Thanks again for your information.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe if you make it in RM then you can change the name before the backup but I'm not 100% on that.

matthskim

Reaction score
Are you saying you are not sure about naming in RM or restoration of the backup in Bootstrap.
Just for clarification.
Thanks.

joshhh

Reaction score
pretty much the same problem here, is there any way to get those renamed roms able to work again? Because one of them was before I rooted my phone and I'd like to have that one in specific back so I can flash cm7...

Sent from my DROID3

matthskim

Reaction score
pretty much the same problem here, is there any way to get those renamed roms able to work again? Because one of them was before I rooted my phone and I'd like to have that one in specific back so I can flash cm7...

Sent from my DROID3
Can any of you shed a light on how to restore a renamed backup file? I renamed a backup file with an easily identifiable file name and I am trying to restore it without success.

I would appreciate help.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you use RM to create the backup (ala type the name in yourself in the Android OS) this is able to be restored. Now, that information is from a D1. I don't even know if RM has the ability to reboot into recovery from the OS on the D3 as I don't use it.

If you use a file manager to rename the file AFTER the backup in CW recovery, it is not possible to restore it without reverse engineering the MD5 hash (if that is even possible). So, I would say that you CANNOT.