Crazy virtual keyboard/bottom button problem

masiv

Reaction score
I have searched but found nothing related to this problem. I am thinking it might be hardware related.

when in portrait mode, any time I try to open the app tray the phone actually inputs a press for the icon above it. For instance the default icons in the middle-bottom of the screen are contacts and browser. If tap/swipe the app launcher it will launch either contacts or browser.

If I am texting in landscape mode using the virtual keyboard, hitting the delete key actually will type the letter m no matter how far to the right i hit the Del key.

These are just a couple of examples. It's like the bottom 1/4 inch of the screen is useless. Rest assured that this is not a fat-fingering problem. I have had this phone since launch day and have used it without any problem until today. No damage, has not been dropped. I already tried pulling the battery, powered off/on about 20 times while trying different things. I also did a factory reset via the privacy settings.

It seems like it needs to be calibrated, but I know the capacitive screen does not need calibrating.

Any ideas on what else I can try before heading to the store?

OP
masiv

masiv

Reaction score
After monkeying around for a few hours, I decided to visit my local Verizon store. They replaced the phone.

Essentially when looking at the screen in portrait mode, the section of the screen where the app tray slider is was dead. Across the screen from side to side.

Nothing obvious, no damage, just stopped accepting input on that section of the screen.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
After monkeying around for a few hours, I decided to visit my local Verizon store. They replaced the phone.

Essentially when looking at the screen in portrait mode, the section of the screen where the app tray slider is was dead. Across the screen from side to side.

Nothing obvious, no damage, just stopped accepting input on that section of the screen.

Glad you got it taken care of!

MsZona

Reaction score
ditto

I am having the same problem with the bottom portion of the screen is not working. Dang it. Well, I hope the store is open today. Thanks for saving me time.

MsZona

Reaction score
Thanks

Yes, they replaced the phone.....they say they had never seen that before, but I told them about your story on the forum ;)

So glad that I found the answer here before I went.....Thanks alot!!

egyas

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I just popped up 2 days ago out of the blue. FIRST problem of any kind I have had with my DROID.

Guess I'm taking it in for a replacement.