Crazy signal issues

DND

Reaction score
I've been having issues with my signal for the past month or so. I never had an issue before and now I fluctuate between 3 bars on 3G to no bars on 1X....whatever that means. I can't even place a call in my own home without the call being dropped or static.

My current phone is # 3 in 6 months, and I'm operating on 2.3.4

The last time I spoke to Verizon they said that the back of the phone was the antenna. I am using an extended battery and the cover that came with it. Could this be my issue? Is this a common problem with non-factory batteries and covers?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Have you tried the regular battery and cover? I did read here once where someone had to tweak the connectors on the battery cover.

Sent to today from yesterday using tomorrow's technology.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I am in the same boat! My work phone is a Samsung Charge and I get 2 bars at my house (I have always been in a low cell signal area). My DINC2 has none! I could not get a phone call, and texts did not send out. I did change the setting to be in CDMA only. At least then my texts send out. Wireless & Networks =>Mobile Networks =>Preferred Network=>CDMA. I helped someone who even had the Network Extender and got nothing! Please let there be a software patch or a new antenna back fix! Love this phone.....sigh

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen people report issues but I have none. Don't go by the 3g bar indicator (it seems to be off) go by what it says for dbms in settings. Also check your battery door. There are gold prongs in it. Those are the antenna. If those are messed up it will kill your signal.

Sent from my Incredible 2

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I did check the DBMS and it was better AFTER I changed the setting to CDMA. But only slightly. Just enough improvement that my texts do go through now when at my house. Should I send off for a replacement if my signal is still poor? This was my replacement for my Samsung Fascinate that had the phone call and sporadic messages issues. Maybe my phone has a bad connector in the antenna? I was hoping they would address a back upgrade for a better antenna or a software fix for improvement.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did check the DBMS and it was better AFTER I changed the setting to CDMA. But only slightly. Just enough improvement that my texts do go through now when at my house. Should I send off for a replacement if my signal is still poor? This was my replacement for my Samsung Fascinate that had the phone call and sporadic messages issues. Maybe my phone has a bad connector in the antenna? I was hoping they would address a back upgrade for a better antenna or a software fix for improvement.

Try this app from the market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal. I don't know much about it yet but it seems legit. Your dbms should hover around -85. If they fluxuate drastically then there might be something wrong with phone or reception in your area. You can use the compass in the app to see where signal strength is the best. Just walk to an area of the house where its the best. You should get at least 50%. I get between 50-75% in my house.

You could have a bad connector, bent prong or warped battery door. I would bring it into a Verizon tech in store to have them check it out.

sent from my skyraider inc2

KeepItReal

Reaction score
The dBm between both my Dinc 2 and Charge hover -95 to -105 now. Before I changed the setting to cdma only, the Dinc 2 was worse, around -125 I believe. At least my texts go through now. I'll be getting the Prime when it comes out, lol. The Dinc 2 will be on Ebay! I do like the Dinc 2.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may want to call Verizon and see if they can get you a free network extender

pjniez

Reaction score
Free Network Extender??? Good luck! I tried - repeatedly! The best I could do was $150 off the $250 retail price.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to here that. You would think they would give you one because it sounds like you are in a poor coverage area.

OP
D

DND

Reaction score
Well I was able to fix my issues by putting aluminum foil in the back of my phone whenever I use my extended battery. Sounds ghetto, but it seems to have stabilized the signal to be more consistent.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Interesting about the aluminum foil..lol. I wonder if those old fashion signal booster that you can buy would work in our phone. You know the one that would stick on the inside of your phone back near the battery. They never worked, but maybe on the Incredible 2, it would. Wonder if I have one in a drawer somewhere? I remember getting one free when I ordered something on-line!

Navy_RN

Reaction score
Can you post a picture? I did the same with copper wire in the 3 little hole in the cover. Kinda worked... get better signal in some areas but I still have trouble in others.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

ki3t1995

Reaction score
The battery door works as the antenna. Try to take it out and clean the contacts with the phone off and see if that helps.

Sent from my Incredible 2