Cracked Screen - Input options?

mlo0352

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been a member of this forum for a while now but I've never posted anything (I think?)

Anyways, my Moto Droid RAZR's screen spontaneously broke in my pocket about 4 weeks after getting it. One minute it was fine, then I pull it out of my pocket and it's got a crack along the middle of the screen right above the sd port.

I looked into all my options and just decided to spare myself the headaches and dished the $99 to get a replacement (luckily I foresaw this happening with such a high-tech gadget around myself and got insurance).

So now I'm left with a phone that turns on but to which I cannot provide input. The screen is completely dead now. It used to at least light up, but the crack has been growing (wtf?) and now the backlight won't even turn on. So I was wondering...how can I provide input to this thing so I can wipe it of my data and maybe sell it on ebay as is? I was thinking the hdmi output would be fine to use with a monitor, but there's the issue of not being able to interact with it. Does anybody know of any software you can use while it's connected to the computer? Unfortunately I never rooted it after the update so it's not rooted and I'm assuming that'd probably be a requirement for something like that.

Does anybody know if I can hook a keyboard to it somehow? Maybe a mouse? (that'd be best I'd think) It doesn't have a password or anything, just need to swipe it to get in...

Thanks for any help! If I can get this thing somewhat functional I may just use it as my music/netflix station with my tv...

PS ALSO is there any place you guys know of that has replacement screens? I think I'd be okay with replacing it myself considering the worst case is that it's even less usable (and all it is now is an expensive paperweight with a blinking green light [yes, it still buzzes to texts...well at least it did. My replacement is on its way so I assume it's been disabled]

Picture included for...lulz? :C
View attachment 46719

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
You will have to send the damaged phone into the insurance company. If you don't, they charge you full retail for the replacement phone ($600-700). Your old phone has not been disabled and wont be turned off until you activate the new phone.

This post is Incredible 2!

OP
M

mlo0352

Reaction score
Oh well that's kind of silly. I don't see why I should have to send a phone back that is broken. You wouldn't do that with a car. And they're just going to fix it and send it to somebody else...

Anyways, I guess that kind of kills my idea.

But the question still stands: Does anybody know of a way to allow a mouse to connect to the phone so that it could be used (in case my next one breaks, or just for funzies)?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Aha, but yes you would have to relinquish your car, they won't just give you a new car and let you keep the old one for spare parts.

OP
M

mlo0352

Reaction score
If it was totaled? I feel like it'd just be a dumpyard and you could probably take what you want from it.

Anyways, that's not the point of this post :)

I'm just asking...in the event that any of these kinds of touch-screen phones have broken screens, what are alternative input methods?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Verizon store should be able to transfer everything without the cost of buying additional assessories.

Living on the razr's edge, "strop" aside

OP
M

mlo0352

Reaction score
Well I have another broken android phone that I haven't used in a while (I upgraded to the Razr when it broke). Anyways, if there was a way to input to it using usb peripherals, that'd be appreciated.