Couple new user questions

fishacura

Reaction score
Sorry folks....simple ones but I have been playing all weekend and am stuck:

1. The phone seems to have imported all my facebook friends into contacts. Didn't really want that but okay. But now here's the problem. I have a friend (example) let's call him Jim. His facebook info imported but I also want to add phone numbers to him as a contact...however when I go into his contact page it doesn't allow me to edit him as a contact and says facebook contacts cannot be edited on this device....so how do I add his info?

2. How can I tell when the phone is using my home network versus using Verizon 3g? When I am home I want to ensure it's not using 3g since I have wireless in the house but how can I bet sure?

neilrl79

Reaction score
1. Make a new contact for "jim" put the numbers on that contact then when finished got to edit contact and there will be an option to join contacts, join the facebook "jim" to the "jim" you created.
2. Wifi has a different icon on the notification bar then 3G.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
1. Make a new contact for "jim" put the numbers on that contact then when finished got to edit contact and there will be an option to join contacts, join the facebook "jim" to the "jim" you created.

That's what I thought but I don't see and option for it and now I see two Jim's out there....I'll keep looking

neilrl79

Reaction score
Long press the "jim" you created from the contacts list select edit contact then when in the edit contact screen press the menu button, join should be listed in the option that pop up.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
neilrl, THANK YOU! You rock. For this, and the 100 more times I will probably bother you over the coming weeks, a sincere thanks!

stephdan

Reaction score
Is there a way to keep all the facebook contacts from showing up? Also, my VZNavigator seems to be eating up my battery. Is this part of the OS functionality such that I cannot shut it off? If I can shut it off, how would I do this?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jmorgania

Reaction score
Is there a way to keep all the facebook contacts from showing up? Also, my VZNavigator seems to be eating up my battery. Is this part of the OS functionality such that I cannot shut it off? If I can shut it off, how would I do this?

Open your contact list. Press the "menu" button. Select "Display options". This will give you a list of all the different items that could be imported into your contact list. Just find facebook and unselect it. Poof, no more FB contacts showing in your contact list. You can do this for the other services that populate your list as well. This does not change having FB sync info into your existing contacts, just doesn't populate all your contacts into the list. It took me awhile to find this feature also. Motorola sure made it difficult to find.

I can't help you with VZ Navigator as I have never turned it on, nor have I ever seen it using resources or battery on my phone.

DaddysDroid

Reaction score

Regarding VZ Nav....go to Menu > Settings > Location & Security....in there you will find a toggle check mark for VZ Nav...if it's checked, just uncheck it.

fyi...I leave the Google and Standalone GPS services checked.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Regarding VZ Nav....go to Menu > Settings > Location & Security....in there you will find a toggle check mark for VZ Nav...if it's checked, just uncheck it.

fyi...I leave the Google and Standalone GPS services checked.

Thanks from me as I killed it also. What is "stand along GPS" and does that need to be checked? If I have an app for instance that can find "restaurants near me" which GPS location setting do I need...VZ, Google or Stand Alone???

LT*

Reaction score
Thanks from me as I killed it also. What is "stand along GPS" and does that need to be checked? If I have an app for instance that can find "restaurants near me" which GPS location setting do I need...VZ, Google or Stand Alone???

Leave Google and Stand alone checked, with VZ un-checked and you should be good to go.