contacts without email addresses missing?

GorillaTheHutt

Reaction score
i noticed a bunch of my google contacts weren't showing up on the phone. so far the only connection i can see is that google contacts that don't have an email address (i have many contacts that are just a name and a number) don't seem to be showing up.

has anyone else noticed this? is there a fix? it seems like i've searched thru every option possible...

tiger187126

Reaction score
when you're in your contacts list do you have all contacts selected on the top bar or something else like phone only contacts.

that's the only thing i can think of.

OP
G

GorillaTheHutt

Reaction score
i'm on All Contacts. could you do a quick experiment where you make a contact (http://www.google.com/contacts) with just a name and a phone number, save it, sync your phone, and see if it shows up in your contact list. then i'd at least know if it's somehow a bug with my phone. thanks a lot if anyone does this!

givmedew

Reaction score
If you hit the phone icon on the left and then select the contacts page does your dialer application fail and close? If so how did you get your contacts onto the phone? Did Verizon use a device to transfer your contacts?

If it is failing like I mentioned and Verizon transfered your contacts with a device at the store then you will need to wipe the phone by going to settings>privacy. If this is indeed what happened you unfortunately will NOT be able to have Verizon transfer your contacts for you. It will have to be done manually.

kckevin

Reaction score
When in your contacts try doing a search for them. I am having problems with contacts from my Gmail account not showing up in the "All Contacts" but they show up if I search for them or if I look at the contacts from the Dialer app.

I am hoping this a bug that gets fixed soon.

piggylubber

Reaction score
I had this issue as well. I found that I had to link my facebook friends with the contact info I had transferred over with the backup assistant. Than all was good. I don't know if this is common because this is my first smart phone.

OP
G

GorillaTheHutt

Reaction score
When in your contacts try doing a search for them. I am having problems with contacts from my Gmail account not showing up in the "All Contacts" but they show up if I search for them or if I look at the contacts from the Dialer app.

I am hoping this a bug that gets fixed soon.

you are absolutely correct! bizarre! i really hope this is fixed, too...have you reported it in any capacity?

psand

Reaction score
I ran into this issue with the calendar. When i tried to put in an appointment it requires that I connect that to a contact (which makes no sense to me.. can't I have something to do that isn't related to a contact?). Anyway from the calendar I was unable to find a contact i knew was in my phonebook. But from the contaqct search he is there. It appears the contact list in the calendar includes my google contacts (maybe my facebook contacts also) but not people who were just listed in my contacts manually.

kckevin

Reaction score
After doing some additional reading on other forums and experimenting I think I have found more details.

If the contacts are not in your Google "My Contacts" then they will not show up unless the contact also exists in Facebook (or possibly other Social Networking sites). After I move all of my contacts to "My Contacts" they all show up in my standard Contacts app.

Not sure if this is intentional by Google/Motorola (I'm not sure who actually wrote this app). I migrated from WinMo to the X so I'm not sure if other Android devices have the same problem. My wife has the original Droid but doesn't use Google for her contact management (uses MS Exchange) so I can't tell on her device.

I found some of the details on this on the Motorola Owners forum (sorry for no thread link or credit to the author). If I find it I'll post it later.

Edit: Found the link https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/32502?tstart=90

Last edited: