Contacts merge when i add a new one?

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
I've noticed about 2 or 3 times, when i try adding a new contact, it merges that contact with a completely random contact in my phone. if I go to edit the contact it chooses, i only see THEIR phone number. but if i view the contact it shows both contacts on top of each other.. this has happened in 2.0 AND 2.1

why is it doing this?

so far the only resolve i see is re-adding them both under different names. but why is it doing it in the first place?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
are the names the same? like "john" and "john" but neither having a last name listed?

OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
No. the first time i was trying to add "Beth" and it merged with "Liz"

and the second (this time after 2.1 update) I tried adding "Katie" and it merged with "katrina" . i had to change their names to "Kate" and "Katrina B" .

Also. when I added them. If i were to delete "katrina" it would then show "Katie" in my contacts, but the second "Katrina" was added, they again merged.

jmackxiii

Reaction score
You know what.. the same thing happens to me but only with 2 contacts...
Katie M........y entire last name is listed taken from my Facebook contacts... then i have one listed as Kathy no last name with just a cell phone number, every time i load a new ROM i have to unmerge them.

mavvdog

Reaction score
go into contacts
select contact
press menu
edit contact
press menu
select unjoin

OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
Thanks mav. I edited their names to what I originally wanted and now their working suprisingly.

mavvdog

Reaction score
Sounds easy to fix a couple, but if you have over 500 contacts it can be a headache.
Does anyone know of a way to globally unjoin all the contacts at once?

You're welcome Josh :)

johno

Reaction score
Thanks Mavvdog - I was trying to track down the same problem. I don't know of a global separate. Thanks for contributing!