Contacts Help

TightLines

Reaction score
I have my droid apparently syncing with Google contacts and its made things rather confusing. It seems that contacts are being duplicated.

When looking at my contacts only one name is displayed for each person (as it should be) now if I go to edit that contact the same information will be listed for the person multiple times under "Google contact"

So when I edit each contact there are up to 3 "google contacts" for each person each repeating the same information.

This becomes very annoying when its time to send a text message to someone and their name comes up multiple times with the same phone number (usually with some variations in how the dashes are used, with or without hyphens)

Its all rather complicated to explain but hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Also, on another note (probably warrants a separate post) does anyone know of a way to show e-mail previews in the notification bar similar to how handcent displays texts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any ideas/help?

Yes. On your phone or computer, go to www.gmail.com and log in. Go to your contacts and set up my contacts that way.

I've seen a little bit of this duplication stuff but not on my phone. Anyway it will be easier for you to set it up at the gmail site the way you want. I'd use a computer if I were you, just because it will be easier to delete and rearrange things.

iPirate

Reaction score
Load gmail on a computer and look at your contacts. See if the same is happening there. If so you can clean them up.

What happened for me is I had an email address under Bob(first listing) and then a phone number under Bob(second listing) so I had two contacts listed. You can check both of them and merge them.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
in gmail there is an option to 'find duplicates' as well. makes the task really easy

OP
T

TightLines

Reaction score
The issue is not duplicate entries in gmail contacts.

The issue is that the gmail contacts are pulling multiple times onto my phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The issue is not duplicate entries in gmail contacts.

The issue is that the gmail contacts are pulling multiple times onto my phone.

But what does it look like on gmail? are you seeing duplicates there? Because what you see on your phone you should see on gmail too.

If that's not what's happening, sorry, I'm just not following you.

Try doing this: Go to settings/accounts and sync/gmail/TightlLines at Gmail.com (whatever name you're using) then uncheck sync contacts. Review your contacts again at gmail.com and then have it sync contacts. It should be as you have it set up in your gmail.

I think the reason you're having duplicates is because you are adding titles and such on your phone. So your phone syncs with gmail and it makes duplicates. But those duplicates should also appear in your gmail account on line.

If that's not the case, sorry, then I'm just not following you.

OP
T

TightLines

Reaction score
To try and clarify, I am NOT seeing duplicates on gmail or the main contacts list on the phone.

An example of where information is duplicated:

I go to edit a contact and there are headings "Google contact" or "facebook"

My problem is a single contact may have multiple Google contact sections that each have lines for information (phone numbers, email addresses, etc.)

It may be easiest to understand by editing a contact.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about. The contacts app will merge duplicate contacts in the contact list but when you go to edit that contact you will see each individual entry separated by the account that that info belongs to. For instance, I have 3 gmail accounts synced and one facebook account. I have many many many duplicates across the 4 accounts but I only see the duplicates when i go to edit. Such as:

Google Contact
from [email protected]
bob home 972-555-1212

Google Contact
from [email protected]
bob mobile 214-555-1212

Google Contact
from [email protected]
bob mobile 214-555-1212

Facebook Contact
from [email protected]
[email protected]

This is the way it is supposed to work, it's not an error. You even have a menu option to "separate" each entry into it's own contact. The key is to look and see which account is mentioned under each "Google Contact" heading.

If, however, you are seeing multiple identical entries under the same account and you have confirmed that gmail (on a computer) does not reflect the same thing then you have some sort of syncing error. If this is the case you will probably have to reset the phone.

OP
T

TightLines

Reaction score
Makes sense, unfortunately I only have one g-mail account.

A dumb question but how do I "reset" the phone?