Contacts Disappeared While Abroad

Hudak

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting here, though I've visited a few times for solutions to problems.

While I was abroad two weeks ago, I was playing around with the settings to try and make a phone call (which, I just saw the thread about that today). I checked a few things in Wireless and Networks and unchecked them. When nothing worked, I'm pretty certain I put everything back to the way it was.

Either way, after that, I started to get a lot of errors with Google Framework and my phone reset twice. When it came back up the second time, my contacts were all gone, though my 'people' app is still there. When I go to open it, it just continuously has the "Loading..." screen and nothing happens. Anything I have that syncs to my contacts, that particular app has the red ! by "sync com.android.contacts" and the bottom of the screen says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

All of my text messages, photos, etc. are still there, but when I go into the Messages app it shows only phone numbers, not names or photos. I have my Twitter and Gmail sync to my contacts, but both are getting the !.

If you need any other info, let me know. Just wondering how to get my People and sync working. Thanks for all your help!

ABQNM

Reaction score
Do you have your contacts synced to google? If so, then just try clearing data for contacts storage and reboot the phone. This should make you have to re-login to google and your contacts should come back. It COULD possibly require a factory reset, but usually deleting data for contacts storage should resolve it.

If your contacts are saved to google, once you do this, you will have to re-login and your contacts should download within a few minutes.

And welcome to the forum!

OP
H

Hudak

Reaction score
Do you have your contacts synced to google? If so, then just try clearing data for contacts storage and reboot the phone. This should make you have to re-login to google and your contacts should come back. It COULD possibly require a factory reset, but usually deleting data for contacts storage should resolve it.

If your contacts are saved to google, once you do this, you will have to re-login and your contacts should download within a few minutes.

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the help! I think I already tried this, but I just did it again with the same results. I restarted, opened my People app, and got the same "The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and the People app just shows "Loading..." I've also tried clearing the data for all of my Google-related apps, but nothing has seemed to work. I've backed up all my pics, which are the only things I can't get back, so I'm prepared to do a factory reset. This is looking like the most reasonable option right now.

I don't know if it helps, but I get the Google Framework failure message every once in a while, 2-3 times in a row each time it happens.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Did you clear data and cache on google services framework as well? You said all google apps so I would assume you did. You are likely going to have to do a reset if clearing data on both doesn't help. Also it is recommended to disable sync for all accounts before deleting the data on both the contacts storage and google services framework.

Good luck with it.