Contact Strangeness

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Ok, I've always noticed some strangeness with the Gmail address book but never really relied on it until I got my Droid. Now it's starting to really get strange.

I've had many interesting things happen with phone numbers, email addresses, etc. However, today it's the most strange thing I've seen.

Went to call someone using his contact info I used just yesterday to call him with from the Droid (actually used speech to call him). Today, I go to call him and his phone numbers--all of them--are gone. I go in Gmail to see if his info is there and it's all there. WTF? Now I'm confused.

And, yes, I have it syncing and haven't had this problem before.

:::scratching my head:::

Danthok

Reaction score
My phone did the initial sync with Google when I bought the phone 11/06 and it hasn't synced since. Email and calendar sync but not contacts, I am scratching my head as well. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably a glitch on Google's end and hope they fix it soon.

As far as numbers disappearing that has not happened to me, but I did have some direct dial shortcuts vanish off my home screen.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Maybe he's in a group and it's not set to view in the Contacts?

Contacts|Menu|Display Options|Select you gmail account|Make sure System:Group My Contacts is checked.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
My phone did the initial sync with Google when I bought the phone 11/06 and it hasn't synced since. Email and calendar sync but not contacts, I am scratching my head as well. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably a glitch on Google's end and hope they fix it soon.

As far as numbers disappearing that has not happened to me, but I did have some direct dial shortcuts vanish off my home screen.

It syncs just fine. Have added contacts (on both sides) which seem to have synced properly.

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Maybe he's in a group and it's not set to view in the Contacts?

Contacts|Menu|Display Options|Select you gmail account|Make sure System:Group My Contacts is checked.

Checked this again (had checked it before) and this is how it's set.

Strange...

cellu1

Reaction score
I had a couple contacts do the same thing. The names were there, but the numbers had vanished on the phone. I entered them manually and no problems thus far. Edit: the contact numbers that did not sync had custom labels vice the default "home", "mobile",etc...

Last edited:

velomark

Reaction score
I am also having problems with Gmail contacts not synching properly. I noticed my brother in Law's address was out of date, so I edited it on the Droid. When i looked at it again later the contact was missing on the Droid but not in Gmail. I clicked on my sister in law's contact (same last name) and discovered that it had combined the two contacts into one. Weird huh?

I have heard that if you edit a contact on the Droid, it will break the synch. Prevailing wisdom is that you should only edit contacts in Gmail.....

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I am also having problems with Gmail contacts not synching properly. I noticed my brother in Law's address was out of date, so I edited it on the Droid. When i looked at it again later the contact was missing on the Droid but not in Gmail. I clicked on my sister in law's contact (same last name) and discovered that it had combined the two contacts into one. Weird huh?

I have heard that if you edit a contact on the Droid, it will break the synch. Prevailing wisdom is that you should only edit contacts in Gmail.....
Sounds similar to some of the strangeness I've encountered before this one. Not a very good thing to not be able to edit contacts on the phone...