Constant Sync

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Ive had my droid for a couple months, and this problem just started in the last few days. My droid has been showing the sync icon nonstop for the past few days, and with it my battery life has plummeted. When I drop down the notification bar, it doesn't show anything, and when I go to menu-settings-about phone-battery use. it lists the main culprit as "android system" with 59%. the included packages are
Sync Feeds
Google Backup transport
Settings Storage
Checkin Service
Android System
System Updater
VPN Services
Account and Sync Settings
Settings
PGM System
Network Location

Anybody have any ideas what is happening. Also I have turned the phone off and on, but still get the sync icon.

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
I have the constant sync issue too. So bad that my battery would drop about 20% in a little over an hour. Rooted, custom ROM'ed DroidX, over the Froyo, 2.3.340 VZ update.
So the stock battery manager helped out a ton. Which is sad because it was the last thing I tried. I won't go into how many times I flashed new ROMs, and wiped all data, even went back to stock twice. I'm sure VZ serves wondered why a phone would be re-activated a half dozen times in three days. Ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous- and back to the point:
Battery manager reported only 25% of my battery was being used for display? And the Android system took up 65%!?! That's not right. Top of the list was the Google Transport service. Check it out-
Data Backup | Android Developers
So the constant sync symbol (as far as I can tell) is indicitive of this backup/restore function. I looked in my accounts (settings- acounts not sure if that's stock Froyo or the Motorola/VZ mods- this is my first Android).
Anyway, in the accounts, all of them indicated a sync, although none of the symbols were "circleing"- so frozen sync's? Google accounts, and the Last.FM account.
The fix? I unchecked all of them, rebooted the phone. The sync symbol was still there, I let the phone chill for 5 minutes, and it went away. I then enabled the services ONE AT A TIME! AND WAITED FOR EACH TO COMPLETE BEFORE ENABLEING THE NEXT ONE.
So after two hours, no sign of the sync gremlin around, My battery has not dropped at the alarming rate before this happened, I checked the status of the Android system, and its gone from 65% to 45%, and will hopefully drop to the normal under 10% where it should be. The Google transport service went from #1 on the Android system list to #18. Another good sign. I'll let the system trend a little, and check back in tomorrow.
I hope this helps, good luck Droid fans.

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
Yeah, my battery life is back in black- 90% & its been off the charger over 12 hours. I'm have all my google services except calender(it looks like I'm jot the only one that its sycn "sticks" with. I also found woe guru calling himself Juicemane, he uses rubix w/ a black theme. I applied it, it performs fast, low batt. Useage, & it looks good. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App