Considering it, but Droid Doesn't?

CadBane

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Because my current cell phone is a glitchy mess, and the options presented to me for getting replacement equipment stink, I'm going to do an alternate line upgrade.

When I saw the Motorola Droid, I LOVED it. Thought I wanted to buy it. But after talking to a VZW person, and looking at the manual, I found something Droid doesn't do. Something that's very important to me personally.

I like being able to restrict my phone calls. Have it where only my contacts can call. Anyone else (including restricted calls) go to voicemail. But apparently, for all the things Droid does, it doesn't do that.

Thanks to anyone who reads my new thread.

atlharry

Reaction score
Google Voice can do that. Unfortunately, you can't port numbers at this time. For me, however, after weighing the advantages of having google voice and keeping my old number, I decided that moving to a new number wasn't such a bad thing! The Droid's integration with the GV app is pretty much seamless to boot (in my experience)!

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2758-google-voice-faq.html

OP
C

CadBane

Reaction score
Not for me though...

Google Voice can do that. Unfortunately, you can't port numbers at this time. For me, however, after weighing the advantages of having google voice and keeping my old number, I decided that moving to a new number wasn't such a bad thing! The Droid's integration with the GV app is pretty much seamless to boot (in my experience)!

Thanks very much for the info and faq. After reading, it unfortuantely convinced me that my only option for keeping my number and my privacy is to go another way.

I do appreciate the time taken to replay, thanks.

Last edited:

marquise14

Reaction score
Another thing Droid doesn't do

Is there a way to stop a song from playing on the music player besides pressing pause? I have to kill it using a task killer everytime. It's great that musci will play even while you're doing other things on the phone, but there doesn't seem to be an option to stop it from playing. Even the user manual doesn't say anything about how to stop it.

fegriffith

Reaction score

Thanks very much for the info and faq. After reading, it unfortuantely convinced me that my only option for keeping my number and my privacy is to go another way.

I might be misunderstanding your situation, but to me it sounds like an app might accomplish what you are trying to do. You only want callers that are in your phonebook to get through to you, right? A "white list"? I would think there has to be a white list application in the market??

Just found this: http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-guardam-blocker-qzBj.aspx

Last edited:

slammed

Reaction score
Is there a way to stop a song from playing on the music player besides pressing pause? I have to kill it using a task killer everytime. It's great that musci will play even while you're doing other things on the phone, but there doesn't seem to be an option to stop it from playing. Even the user manual doesn't say anything about how to stop it.

that is in the Verizon write up that needs to be fixed. but you can pause, then hit the home key.

OP
C

CadBane

Reaction score
Yeah, that's it..

I might be misunderstanding your situation, but to me it sounds like an app might accomplish what you are trying to do. You only want callers that are in your phonebook to get through to you, right? A "white list"? I would think there has to be a white list application in the market??

Just found this: GBlocker v1.2.0 Application for Android | Communication

Hi, been busy, meaning to get back here. See, unless someone is in my contacts list, I don't want them calling me. Some LG phones (for example) have the option to only accept calls from contacts. I like that option. Unfortunately, I never got back to here before doing my alternate line upgrade (a week ago actually) and wound up getting a Samsung Rogue. When this app sounds like it was what I was looking for. Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.