Confused about swype

belome

Reaction score
OK, I read the sticky at the top about swype, so hopefully I'm not breaking the rules by posting this I'm just trying to clarify.

So, from what i read, since i have the droid 2 with production swype, there is no way for me to run the beta app, correct?

If so, is there a way to get an updated swype for my phone, or am I out of luck? I have no problems paying if there is an option... I'm just a little confused.

mikehal38

Reaction score
I'm on my phone so I cant help much. If you go to swype's webpage they have a tutorial on how to get the swype beta on pre loaded devices. You do have to be rooted though because you have to remove system files for it to work.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Bummer, I don't really want to root my phone.

Does anyone know if they have plans to release a new updated production version? Or is it more in Verizons court at this point?

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Well, i went over to the swype forum. I guess I can feel better knowing I'm not the only one that is irate over the crappy version of Swype we have on our phones.

I sure hope they fix it someday.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Just get slide it. Very similar but its a little better supported in my opinion. Plus it seems more straight forward. Better prediction because you don't have to make a loop for every double letter) that drives me nuts)

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
What is the difference between slideit keyboard and slideit soft keyboard... other than one costs 7 bucks?

mikehal38

Reaction score
the free one is just a trial. It's very simple to root an x if you decide to go that route. I highly recommend it even if you only root to update swype. The new version is much better than what comes preloaded on our device.

I just read that you have a d2 but as far as I know it's just as simple rooting that as an x. Just get z4 root our a similar app and it does all the work for you.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App