ComputerWorld.com - Droid (5 out of 5 stars)

SEGA

Reaction score
four-moto-droids.jpg

Motorola Droid vs. iPhone: It's on!

By Keith Shaw
November 12, 2009 10:51 AM ET

Network World - I found some time away from producing this year's holiday gift guide to try out one of the hottest smartphones of the season.
The scoop: Motorola Droid smartphone (Verizon Wireless service), about $200 (with two-year agreement, plus $70 monthly voice/data service).

What it is: With apologies to Terrell Owens, "Get your popcorn ready!" The Motorola Droid smartphone is ready to take on the iPhone for the hearts and minds of consumers (and, gasp, enterprises). Running on Google's Android operating system, the Droid features a slide-out QWERTY keyboard as a way to combat the lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone -- but like the iPhone it has a touchscreen (3.7 inches with 480 x 584 resolution) with an iPhone-like UI. In addition to the cell phone, the Droid lets you access e-mail, send text messages and download additional applications from the Android Market.

Why it's cool: The Droid's 5 megapixel digital camera is a step up from the iPhone's camera (the iPhone 3GS has a 3 megapixel camera), and the addition of Wi-Fi on a Verizon Wireless smartphone is a much appreciated feature (unlike last year's BlackBerry Storm, which was Wi-Fi-less).

Accessing applications from the Android Market was as easy as an iPhone, although some of the applications available were not completely formatted for the Droid (I tried the apps out before the phone's official launch, so hopefully they will conform more to the Droid's screen size). Connecting to Verizon's 3G wireless network was especially appreciated in New England. The built-in GPS and navigation application was very cool (and free), especially when it gives you a street view photo of your location when you arrive at the destination (it's possible Street View can be active while you're driving, but I had other things to worry about -- driving -- when I was trying that application.

Some caveats: I'm not completely sold on the slide-out keyboard. The physical placement of the keyboard (it slides out from the side, or the bottom if you rotate the phone 90 degrees) becomes an issue on the right side -- extra space is used, making it harder for people with smaller hands to do the thumb-typing method. Since I have smaller hands, typing on the keyboard was more difficult. I gave the phone to a colleague with larger hands, and he was not bothered by this feature.

Bottom line: I've seen a lot of iPhone clones and alleged "iPhone killers" come and go by the wayside. It's possible that the Droid will join them as well, but I don't think so. I think this device has legs, and it seems to have the support of Verizon Wireless behind it, based on some of their latest ads challenging AT&T's 3G coverage (somehow I think it means hopes for a Verizon iPhone has dimmed).

The final decision on whether to go with a Droid vs. an iPhone could ultimately end up being a choice of whether you prefer AT&T's network or Verizon's.

Grade: 5 stars (out of five).

D

DroidMastar

Droid is undoubtedly a contender. It's not an "IPhone Killer" but it can defiantely got all 15 rounds.

benhebert

Reaction score
Glad to hear. I hope that it doesn't get the same popularity of the iphone

J

JohnDroid

Good review, just restating what we already know as owners ;)

foolie

Reaction score
are they using the GSM model? how could they say the camera is good? mine is still in POS mode.

dean.collins

Reaction score
are they using the GSM model? how could they say the camera is good? mine is still in POS mode.

I'm finding depending on 'photo subject' some decent photos BUT at least 3 out of 5 photos are pretty average.

Motorola need to get working on this in a hurry.

D

DroidMastar

Well as in just about every camera/phone camera I have taking pictures of you will get great shots if taken in good lighting. Outside of good lighting (the flash is not "Good lighting") you will get just ok pics.

D

DroidMastar

Well as in just about every camera/phone camera I have taking pictures of you will get great shots if taken in good lighting. Outside of good lighting (the flash is not "Good lighting") you will get just ok pics.
taken good pictures with* sheesh I need to start viewing my post before i post it >.<

foolie

Reaction score
I did speak with a vzw rep yesterday and they did confirm the update for the autofocus to hit dec11. I kinda wish it wasn't out of my 30 days.

BigTex71

Reaction score
Screen is 480 x 854. He must of had a typo when he put 480 x 584.

Funny that this same guy knocks the Droid for many of the things he praises here in his Droid vs iPhone Shootout here.

OP
SEGA

SEGA

Reaction score
I don't own the phone, yet..

I just got back from playing around with the camera and I do not see a problem with it.

It's like the LG Dare, press down slightly on the camera button until the red bars go green (to focus) and it snaps the pic, in perfect focus.

foolie

Reaction score
I don't own the phone, yet..

I just got back from playing around with the camera and I do not see a problem with it.

It's like the LG Dare, press down slightly on the camera button until the red bars go green (to focus) and it snaps the pic, in perfect focus.

Try taking a photo of text material, if you're autofocus works, then it will show up sharp

Varking

Reaction score
I doubt I will be all that impressed with the camera. The Blackberry Storm has taken plenty of decent pictures. If they come out a bit blurry, that is what I am used to. If they come out really sharp, then it is a small upgrade for me.

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Um....you said " but like the iPhone it has a touchscreen (3.7 inches with 480 x 584 resolution)" Wrong, the droid screen is bigger by .2 inches! Also the resolution is 480x854 not 584! It's the sharpest display I have ever seen on anything period! All those pixels compressed into a mobile screen, incredible!

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's camera works perfectly fine? I have no focus issues at all.

I press the capture button lightly, it focuses (takes about 1 second or less) and then i press it fully.. and voila! a great picture. IDK...