Comparison Pandora One vs. Slacker Radio For Android

asforel

Reaction score
There is a question:"what music app should we choose or buy: Pandora or Slacker Radio?”.:icon_ banana:

What is Pandora? According to Wikipedia Pandora Radio is an automated music recommendation service. Users enter a song or artist that they enjoy, and the service responds by playing selections that are musically similar. Users provide feedback on approval or disapproval of individual songs, which Pandora takes into account for future selections. Once songs have been selected over time Pandora will create a play list based off of your personal music selection.

What is Slacker Radio? Slacker Radio is a very similar service to Pandora. According to Wikipedia Slacker is an interactive Internet Radio service, available in the US and Canada only. Listeners can access the service on the web, through mobile apps on multiple smartphones as well as on the Slacker Personal Radio Players and other devices. It allows users to create and share customized music stations starting with either Slacker’s presets or a list of artists.

Which one do you like? I read a lot of reviews on Pandora Radio. Personally I love Pandora Radio on my Android. Comparison Pandora One vs. Slacker Radio For Android

PandoraRadio_thumb.jpg

AgentBurbank

Reaction score
I have both Pandora and Slacker installed. I use Pandora whenever I'm in the car... so much now that I'm about to cancel my XM Radio account.

I have Slacker on my ipod touch, but so far the Pandora selections have been so good that I haven't really had a need to fire up an alternative. I also remember hearing more ads on Slacker when I used to listen to it on the ipod.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, Slacker runs on boot. I don't need my music player to do this. I use Pandora. Pandora even has an Exit button that really works.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Out of those 2 pandora, but i REALLY use Grooveshark (best by far in my mind) and last.fm for my internet music selection. they both are way better than slacker and a lil better than pandora.

Reaction score
I use Last.fm. I like it better, offers more control and I'm hooked into it from all my music sources.

I also pay for Rhapsody which is fantastic.

Reaction score
My detailed analysis of Grooveshark is that it sucks :)

Actually it's really not legal despite what they say, and all these other apps are 100% legal.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

Actually it's really not legal despite what they say, and all these other apps are 100% legal.

does not s*ck, how many programs do you know of that you can randomly say i want to listen to (a particular song) you type it in and it just streams for you right away no downloading necessary. and it is legal since there is a membership cost just like theres a cost for sirius/xm, whats the issue you have with grooveshark? in my mind its amazing.

Reaction score
What a weird comment, just because you pay for it does not make it legal. Do some research, Grooveshark does not have licenses for the music it provides, it uses uploads from regular people.

Apps that will play what you request, legally

* Rhapsody
* RDIO
* Thumbplay
* MOG

I don't have issues with Grooveshark though I don't think it's a very good app, and there is no question about it's legality. You pay them for upgraded service not for legality.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There is a question:"what music app should we choose or buy: Pandora or Slacker Radio?”.:icon_ banana:

Which one do you like? I read a lot of reviews on Pandora Radio. Personally I love Pandora Radio on my Android. Comparison Pandora One vs. Slacker Radio For Android
Sounds like a good way to address the question is to create a poll!

In the meantime, I'm casting a vote for Slacker. Maybe my situation is unique, but I appreciate that I can access it 3 ways (web interface, dedicated mobile player, Android app). With decent headphones, the sound quality is pretty good (despite heavy compression). And in particular, I am a big fan of their algorithm for selecting songs. With Pandora, it feels like after an hour, I've heard the same artist/genre/song style over and over. Variability is easier to tune with Slacker, and I have more control over the depth/breadth of the channel.

-Matt

virtaclesmile

Reaction score

does not s*ck, how many programs do you know of that you can randomly say i want to listen to (a particular song) you type it in and it just streams for you right away no downloading necessary. and it is legal since there is a membership cost just like theres a cost for sirius/xm, whats the issue you have with grooveshark? in my mind its amazing.

Just because you pay for it doesn't make it legal....Just like that hooker in DC.:icon_eek:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
ok so ill stop mentioning grooveshark in the forums as a good media player because its "semi-illegal" if it was illegal they wouldnt still be around but ok.

pandora over slacker all day.