Communicating overseas..

easye

Reaction score
My girlfriend is travelling to Spain in the near future, and I'll be staying here. I have a Moto Droid and she has the Hero, is their any apps or what not we can use to talk to each other, without running up a huge international calling bill?

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
this is exactly what Skype is for :)

Ahhh good call. So, international call from US to Spain, both mobiles, both skype...free? or just very very inexpensive?

Last edited:
OP
E

easye

Reaction score
what about fring? calling from a wifi hotspot

Just looked over the fring site, bit confused on how it works?

Oh and whats the final answer on making skype-to-skype international calls with mobile phones? I can't figure out whether its free like all other skype-to-skype calling or if it costs Skypecredit or just has a low rate comparitively (sp?)

Newps

Reaction score
Skype to Skype is free. Always has been. I find it easier to use my PC or laptop when I call but your phone would work too.

njftw

Reaction score
Verizon really took a **** on Skype with the Droid. It sucks pretty bad, can't even send an SMS to a cell phone.

Speaking of, why are all the really popular apps, so ****ty on the Droid? I mean, come on. Facebook, Skype.. just to name a couple.

njftw

Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic before. My girlfriend lives in Germany, and I live in the US. We used to use Skype everyday, not only on the computer to chat at home, but during the day on our iPhones to send $0.12 text messages... well now we can't, because the Skype is almost useless with the Droid.

We use Google Talk. Free messaging :)

OP
E

easye

Reaction score
My girlfriend is in another country as well. We use Google Voice all the time :). Not only for $.06/min calls but for free sms too.

Free sms would be awesome. Figure its about time I get on this Google Voice thing.

JHFG

Reaction score
I'm travelling to Madrid for 4 days later this month. I'll need to be able to call home to the states and also reach friends in Madrid. Will Skype/Fring/Google Voice enable me to do all of this? Or am I stuck renting a mobile phone in Madrid? I keep hearing conflicting information about Skype Mobile's functionality overseas.

Thank you!

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Skype on the Droid is a frigging joke. The most pathetic thing I've seen Verizon do... No, that doesn't work overseas.

Fring on the other hand will. Just make sure your phone is in airplane mode and you have wifi on. Fring logging into skype or a SIP should work just fine. I use Sipdroid myself with a SIP but that's a bit more complicated than skype if you can get it working with Fring.