Clockwork Recovery keeps disappearing

mikelbeck

Reaction score
I've rooted my Droid using SuperOneClick v1.7, and am still using the stock FRG83G ROM.

I've installed ROM Manager, and tried to install Clockwork Recovery from there. It tells me it's installed successfully, but when I try to boot into recovery I get the "stock" recovery (yellow exclamation point).

I then downloaded the Clockwork Recovery SBF from the RaidZero thread, installed that with RSD Lite and was able to boot into recovery using the "hold down x" method.

Then I rebooted, went into ROM Manager and tried to use the Backup function to backup my current ROM. It then booted to the "stock" recovery again. I rebooted once more, holding down "x" and was still back to the "stock" recovery.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any idea what's going on here?

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
I've rooted my Droid using SuperOneClick v1.7, and am still using the stock FRG83G ROM.

I've installed ROM Manager, and tried to install Clockwork Recovery from there. It tells me it's installed successfully, but when I try to boot into recovery I get the "stock" recovery (yellow exclamation point).

I then downloaded the Clockwork Recovery SBF from the RaidZero thread, installed that with RSD Lite and was able to boot into recovery using the "hold down x" method.

Then I rebooted, went into ROM Manager and tried to use the Backup function to backup my current ROM. It then booted to the "stock" recovery again. I rebooted once more, holding down "x" and was still back to the "stock" recovery.

Honestly I wouldn't even use clockwork recovery. I use SPRecovery and have used RZRecovery and I love SP. It's easy to use. You should try flashing it. When you want to flash a ROM with SPRecovery, just rename the file to "update.zip" then when you reboot into the recovery do this:

Go to "install"
Select "Allow update.zip Installation"
It will appear that nothing happens but that's not true.
Now click "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
Wait for it to finish and then go to "reboot system now"

That's it, you're done! Enjoy your new ROM.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
CW is fine, ROM Manager is junk though.

Honestly I wouldn't even use clockwork recovery. I use SPRecovery and have used RZRecovery and I love SP. It's easy to use. You should try flashing it. When you want to flash a ROM with SPRecovery, just rename the file to "update.zip" then when you reboot into the recovery do this:

Go to "install"
Select "Allow update.zip Installation"
It will appear that nothing happens but that's not true.
Now click "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
Wait for it to finish and then go to "reboot system now"

That's it, you're done! Enjoy your new ROM.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

A couple things, open rom manager and 1. Flash sprecovery at the bottom then reflash clockwork.. 2. Flash an older or experimental clockwork, then reflash the latest.. 3. Hit menu in rom manager and select delete recovery.. then reflash clockwork... another issue is that one clicks just install root files, they don't disable the FRS that keeps the phone from reverting back to stock recovery... so try the 3 steps above and see if that works... if not, flash sprecovery and try that out.... good luck bud...
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
^^ This

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

OP
mikelbeck

mikelbeck

Reaction score
A couple things, open rom manager and 1. Flash sprecovery at the bottom then reflash clockwork.. 2. Flash an older or experimental clockwork, then reflash the latest.. 3. Hit menu in rom manager and select delete recovery.. then reflash clockwork... another issue is that one clicks just install root files, they don't disable the FRS that keeps the phone from reverting back to stock recovery... so try the 3 steps above and see if that works... if not, flash sprecovery and try that out.... good luck bud...
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

When I try to flash SPRecovery I get a message that says "An error occured while flashing your recovery".

OP
mikelbeck

mikelbeck

Reaction score
I've just re-rooted using this method: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

After doing that, I rebooted into recovery immediately, then restarted normally. Made sure I had root (opened terminal emulator and ran su), then restarted in recovery again to make sure it was still there. Then I went back into ROM Manager and tried to flash ClockwordMod recovery, it said it was successful so I then chose "Reboot into Recovery" and that worked. Rebooted again, then rebooted into recovery again and it's still working so I guess it's fixed now.

Next time I'll use this rooting method instead of the one-click method I guess.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok. Have you tried fixing permissions?

Other than that you can try sbf flashing sprecovery or rzrecovery on via rsdlite.

This is why I link everyone to link one in my signature.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too late. Glad you did it the right way :)

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).