Clockwork Recovery and D2 - Steps to launch from boot-up?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since CWR doesn't replace the stock recovery you can't boot directly into it using the Power Button/X Key process that worked on the D1.

I have read that there is a battery pull step on the D2 that gets you into CWR, and I did it once by accident, but haven't gotten back into it.

Does anyone know the correct sequence to boot to CWR on the D2 when coming from power off state?

Thanks.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
mine goes to it everytime I boot the phone and need to press reboot phone from cw to get a normal boot. I would prefer that it boot normally except for when i need it.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's definitely messed up...not supposed to do that. Sorry to hear you're in that mode.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
About 50 views and no comments/info...hmmm...does that mean my fellow rooters don't know how to do this either? :)

I was told to try this process:

Bootstrap recovery in the Bootstrap program
Turn D2 off
Start booting D2
Pull the battery
Put battery back in
Turn D2 on

Should go to recovery at that point.

Supposedly after that, if you power up, pull battery, then power up again it will go into CW Recovery.

Didn't work for me...can someone else try above and see it works for them, and if so, confirm exactly when they pulled the battery, and anything else they notice.

Thanks.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK...think I may have figured it out.

Looks like I wasn't waiting long enough...I waited until the boot animation started to appear (right after the M logo goes away) and pulled the battery. Put it back in and booted up and went right into recovery.

Tried it a second time and it worked again.

Tah-dah. ;)

Hope this helps someone else...

Reaction score
Cool, mine only goes to it when my battery dies on boot up so i tried turning the phone off and pulling the battery out for about 10 seconds and then put it back in and booted and i got the recovery on boot, but i havent tried it again

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
mine goes to it everytime I boot the phone and need to press reboot phone from cw to get a normal boot. I would prefer that it boot normally except for when i need it.

Mine did that too so I flashed the SBF and started over from scratch. I am afraid to try the D2 Bootstrap again for that reason. For now I can live with it. Did you find a fix yet?

How does this work?
When your device boots up, there is a init.rc script in your boot image that runs various components found in /system. The Droid X recovery bootstrap mimics the "logwrapper" binary. The hijacker then looks for "/data/.recovery_mode", and if it finds it, it unmounts /system to prevent android from starting. It then starts up recovery instead.

That's from Koush's site. Have you tried to delete the .recover_mode file if it clears it up? If you do try may you please post back?

To get to the bootstrap from cold boot. Pull battery out for a few like what was stated in the posts above :)

SDI

Reaction score
I dont know if i am crazy or my D2 is different but i held down the power up or down I cant remember right now while holding down the power button like a DINC and it boots into clockwork

Sorry the volume up or down while holding the power

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine stuck on the "M" booting up holding volume up and power button until M logo appeared.

Tried volume down/power and booted directly into CW Recovery!!!

Oh bummer...didn't work the second time for some reason...booted into Android normally.

Weird...likely it worked 'cause I had to pull the battery when the first try (volume up) didn't work, so it would have booted into recovery either way...

Last edited:

SDI

Reaction score
I dont know if it does it all the time but until someone else gives me a better way some of the time is better then nothing.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it does it all the time but until someone else gives me a better way some of the time is better then nothing.

Have you been able to replicate it?

SDI

Reaction score

Have you been able to replicate it?

It does it like every third time for some reason I am trying diff things to see,,,will report back when i find something more solid

fireflame90050

Reaction score

hey buddy try pulling the battery when it is at the CWR bootstrap mainscreen, my droid 2 was doing that and this method worked, hope it works for u

kaiya215

Reaction score
Since CWR doesn't replace the stock recovery you can't boot directly into it using the Power Button/X Key process that worked on the D1.

I have read that there is a battery pull step on the D2 that gets you into CWR, and I did it once by accident, but haven't gotten back into it.

Does anyone know the correct sequence to boot to CWR on the D2 when coming from power off state?

Thanks.

if u use koush's bootstrapper to flash recovery it automatically puts a update.zip on the sd card.... flash that and ull be all set with recoveryy