Chill out Memory Manager

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Keep launcher in memory is an option in spare parts which comes with the rom

I have had "keep launcher in memory" checked for some time and it doesn't appear to be enforced. If you do anything memory intensive, exit to the home screen and click on the launcher, it's fairly common for it to be blank, close launcher, wait 30 - 60 secs, re-launch and all of the apps are displayed in the launcher.

For the record, I did not have this issue with BB 0.1. I assume it's appsToSD related, so I moved everything to internal memory, no improvement in launcher behavior.

OP
A

Anneal

Reaction score
Btw, my Droid: BB V0.2.1, Chevy's ULV 1.2, stock 16gb, & all non-system & non-widget apps on SD.

unclebrudy, With that many apps on the SD how do you deal with app icons. All apps I have on SD have missing icons on whatever launcher screen they are on, and are missing from my launcher. It used to fix its self from all the refreshing of the home replacement. But now with the implementation of the keep in memory I have not had a refresh problem. I don't know if that irony or just tragic, but it's something I can definitely deal with. One suggestion is modifying BB so that it waits to load the home until after the SD is properly loaded. Something like this I would think should of been added with the addition of appstosd.
-Brad

Asperity

Reaction score
Btw, my Droid: BB V0.2.1, Chevy's ULV 1.2, stock 16gb, & all non-system & non-widget apps on SD.

unclebrudy, With that many apps on the SD how do you deal with app icons. All apps I have on SD have missing icons on whatever launcher screen they are on, and are missing from my launcher. It used to fix its self from all the refreshing of the home replacement. But now with the implementation of the keep in memory I have not had a refresh problem. I don't know if that irony or just tragic, but it's something I can definitely deal with. One suggestion is modifying BB so that it waits to load the home until after the SD is properly loaded. Something like this I would think should of been added with the addition of appstosd.
-Brad

I believe you fix this by doing the following:

After rebooting, go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Select your Launcher. Select Force Stop, then press your Home key to force Android to relaunch it.

OP
A

Anneal

Reaction score
I guess I will just do that until they do something like I suggested, or jkappswitch supports froyo. Thank you for your suggestion.

unclebrudy

Reaction score
I believe you fix this by doing the following:

After rebooting, go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Select your Launcher. Select Force Stop, then press your Home key to force Android to relaunch it.

That works. But the easier way is Menu Button->Preferences->Restart LauncherPro. ;-)

Has anyone tried V0.5.1 of LauncherPro? It's really the most solid build for FroYo still IMHO.

unclebrudy

Reaction score

-Brad

Hey Brad. Even with the new "Keep In Memory" feature, LauncherPro and I think ADW still allow a quick restart via the menu. This will reload all your icons and drawer properly. I agree though, apps2sd as a whole needs some better integration.

Like I've said in this thread though, even though LauncherPro V0.5.1 doesn't have a keep in memory option, for whatever reason in my experience it stays in memory just fine unless you open a large game or have a ton of browser tabs open.