Chill out Memory Manager

Anneal

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know of a way to tune down or kill the way Pete manages memory in 0.21. I know he has it so that there is 100mb free on boot and 50mb free at all times. Which is nice but I am so sick of having my launcher reload every icon/widget when I exit any program. I feel like I am waisting more time waiting for this than any low memory induced slowness could of thrown my way. I am currently on BB0.21 my launcher is ADW, but I had the same problem with Helix, and the default launcher. Thanks in advance either way,
Brad

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use LauncherPro so this answer may not be applicable, but I can do menu/preferences/general settings/Keep in Memory and it will not be shut down. That means it will not have to reload widgets, icons, etc. Is there not such a thing available on ADW?

wustehase

Reaction score
I'd like to know this as well, the whole redraw thing is driving me nuts.

OP
A

Anneal

Reaction score
I should of started with launcher pro, but now I am addicted to having more than 4x4 space per screen. If it gets too annoying I will try launcher because they both work with pure messenger. Only thing that makes me pause is remembering having the same problem with home++ a wile back. They did have that option to keep in memory, but I would still have the problem.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I use LauncherPro so this answer may not be applicable, but I can do menu/preferences/general settings/Keep in Memory and it will not be shut down. That means it will not have to reload widgets, icons, etc. Is there not such a thing available on ADW?

I have this option checked on launcherpro. It still shuts down during phone calls. When I press home after a call, it takes around 5 seconds to load up. Really driving me crazy. And it never happened on bb1.1

wustehase

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you so much for pointing that out. I'da been without it till an update notice showed up. I was very close to rolling back roms.

OP
A

Anneal

Reaction score
And no, ADW doesn't (appear to) have a keep in memory option.

The newest update for ADW (0.8.7) has a System Persistent setting.

Did that come out today? If so what are the odds? Is there anything else anyone wants? Maybe if I start a thread about that it will come to be :icon_eek: Thanks to everyone for their suggestions hopefully this update with persistent checked will stop the only annoyance I have had with BB 0.21. Well besides the reset shortcuts that I would hit every time I took it out of my holster, but I found a patch someone made to switch it to keyboard keys.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Keep launcher in memory is an option in spare parts which comes with the rom

I don't see an option for that at all.

Yeah, I dont see one either. I do however, remember on a previous version, or another ROM, dont remember which, but I DID see that option somewhere in spare parts. Not on BB v0.2.1 though.

unclebrudy

Reaction score
Just my 2c...

In my experience, Pete's scripts have nothing to do with the different launchers having to redraw or get kicked out of memory. I've noticed this on Kangerade as well as Onix & other FroYo roms.

I firmly believe it's that these launcher's codes that aren't up to FroYo snuff yet. Ironically, try Launcher Pro V0.5.1 or Home++ beta 0.8.0.7.14. These are older versions that are available on the respective dev's websites and for whatever reason they stay in memory despite lacking the "Keep In Memory"-type options in the settings.

I'm not a dev so I can't say if it's bloated code in the newer versions or what not, but I know that I'm running LauncherPro V0.5.1 & I'd have to open a LOT of tabs in the Browser or run a game to get it to restart; otherwise it stays in memory nicely.

Btw, my Droid: BB V0.2.1, Chevy's ULV 1.2, stock 16gb, & all non-system & non-widget apps on SD.

craighwk

Reaction score
I am having the same problem on BB1.1 (2.1), so I don't think it's a Froyo specific problem.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I should of started with launcher pro, but now I am addicted to having more than 4x4 space per screen.

LauncherPRO has a 5x4 option, it's under advanced, I think.

I have the same problem with the "keep in memory" not working. It's really annoying having the launcher kicked out of memory all the time and having to wait for it.