charging while in use

kechamb

Reaction score
I am going after work today to pick up my D2 and have a quick charging question that comes from mixed info I have found on the net. Does the D2 charge while in use, I have saw reports that say it does not. My reason for asking is I will use it to listen to music a lot at work and want to keep it charge as much as possible.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does charge while in use, you will see the charging icon when it is plugged in

OP
kechamb

kechamb

Reaction score
thast what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I mean why would anything on the net be untrue

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't believe everything you read...especially on the web

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's simple, everything I read on the web that I agree with is true. :)

belome

Reaction score
One guy here claimed that he was using his as a navigation device and that it would eventually die because it was using more juice than it was recieving via the charger.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember that, they must have had a faulty something

dast

Reaction score
I can confirm that mine charges while in use. Part of peoples' problem may be that the icon shows as charging but no appreciable change is seen in the charge level of the battery. Mine will actually charge the battery while in use (primarily playing music or podcasts).

I wonder if it might be caused by what AC adapter ppl are using. I've got many different ones that fit the D2, all from Motorola but from different phone models. Some of them cause my D2 to freak out like it's possessed. I could believe that others, maybe offbrand even, could make the phone think it is charging but makes no real difference. YMMV

KingLo

Reaction score
One guy here claimed that he was using his as a navigation device and that it would eventually die because it was using more juice than it was recieving via the charger.
I can confirm that. When I first got my D2 I had all the bloatware plus some of my own things running,and with them syncing constantly I did have a time when my charger was fighting a losing battle against my power consumption while I was using it.

ajGoes

Reaction score

If the D2 works like the Droid, he may be suffering from the same problem I've had. I mount my Droid on a windshield dock. This causes the phone to run hotter because a) the dock insulates the phone's heat sink and b) the phone is in the sun.

I don't know whether Motorola or Google is responsible for the next bit, but somebody decided the phone should stop charging when its temperature exceeds some maximum. That's clearly better than letting the phone ignite or fail, but my beef is that the phone doesn't warn me when it happens.

I've solved the problem by getting my a/c fixed. I mount the dock on the corner of the windshield, which holds the phone right over the little side vent in my car's dashboard. The stream of cool air emerging from that vent keeps the phone from overheating.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
One interesting change in the D2 is that you can plug it in to charge w/out turning it on...the D1 always booted up when plugged in, on the D2 you get a large battery/charging icon and the phone won't turn on unless you turn it on yourself.

I also have my D2 mounted in front of an AC vent (using vent mount) for the same reason noted above....when using Nav + Pandora + maybe my wife is browsing web pages, having the phone sitting up in a windsheild mount in the sun as well is a bad combo - in front of the vent it stays nice and cool...

spdivr1122

Reaction score
One interesting change in the D2 is that you can plug it in to charge w/out turning it on...the D1 always booted up when plugged in, on the D2 you get a large battery/charging icon and the phone won't turn on unless you turn it on yourself.

I also have my D2 mounted in front of an AC vent (using vent mount) for the same reason noted above....when using Nav + Pandora + maybe my wife is browsing web pages, having the phone sitting up in a windsheild mount in the sun as well is a bad combo - in front of the vent it stays nice and cool...

Charging when powered off made me so happy. Having my phone have to be on to charge was really annoying

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Charging when powered off made me so happy. Having my phone have to be on to charge was really annoying

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Yeah - it's a first for Moto phones in general in my experience - I've never had or heard of any moto phone - "dumb" phone or smart phone that would charge w/out being turned on.