Chargers

jcrain712

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the droid, its awesome so far! but i just found out the my girlfriends env3 charger works for my droid to. Has anyone else found other phone chargers that work with the droid? or is this old news? ha.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as the charger outputs more than 854mA (what the Droid requires) you'll be fine. If it's less you'll run into issues.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Like Martin said make sure to check the output otherwise weird things could happen. Ghost DROID may pay you a visit, haha.

Wagner:motdroidvert:

smiller136

Reaction score
As long as the charger outputs more than 854mA (what the Droid requires) you'll be fine. If it's less you'll run into issues.

I have been using a charger that outputs 550mA. Have I done damage to my battery? Should I replace the battery?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The rumors of anything but a 850 ma charger harming the Droid or not working are just BS. I sometimes wonder where this horsecrap comes from. The Droid is designed to be charged off a USB port and that is often less than 500 ma. I have used my USB port, my Motorola 550 ma headset charger, the 800 ma Verizon charger that Verizon lists for the Droid, the 850 ma Droid charger and my Zagg Sparq. They all work fine. The only difference is that the lower rated ones take longer to charge. The Droid user guide only says to use ANY Motorola charger. That is most likely because they want to sell the chargers and because they know that their chargers are 5.0 V chargers. The Motorola headset chargers are 550 ma. It doesn't say to use only the Droid charger. As long as it meets the USB standard of 4.75 V to 5.25 V it should work fine.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I have been using a charger that outputs 550mA. Have I done damage to my battery? Should I replace the battery?

No, you have not done any damage. I also find it interesting that Marty says that it has to be greater than 854 ma when the one that came with the Droid is 850 ma.