Changing default browser action

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Sorry if I'm not very clear in this, but it's tricky to describe...

I do have Chrome installed on my phone and when I go into the phone settings, under Default Applications, Chrome is set as my default browser. However, if I receive a link via email or text message and I tap the link, it opens in the "other" browser that seems to be a native Samsung browser (this is also the same browser that opens if I tap a link from the Google searchbar).

Up until yesterday or so, that was working fine. But now when I tap a link from email or text, it opens that other browser but nothing loads. I have to tap the 3 vertical dots in the upper right and then tap "Open in Browser" and then it loads fine in Chrome.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm not crazy about that other browser and would like for the phone to not use it at all. I think it came around with Marshmallow...any ideas how I can turn that off, or at least fix it?

makaiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sammy Galaxy S7 on Verizon
I think that other browser is just labelled "Internet"?

Drag notifications down from top of screen.
Click on the gear icon to load Settings.
Click Applications.
Click Application Manager.
Scroll down to Internet and click.
If under Set as Default it tells you it is set as default, click on it, then "Clear defaults".
Return to previous Internet page. If you wish you can completely disable the app. If this was something you installed rather than the default app from the manufacturer you should see Uninstall rather than Disable. Click Disable/Uninstall.

Next time you click one of those links it should give you your choice of browsers to use, if you have more than one, then use that as the default after that.

(Based on my Galaxy Tab A 8, running Android 6.0.1)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that other browser is just labelled "Internet"?

Drag notifications down from top of screen.
Click on the gear icon to load Settings.
Click Applications.
Click Application Manager.
Scroll down to Internet and click.
If under Set as Default it tells you it is set as default, click on it, then "Clear defaults".
Return to previous Internet page. If you wish you can completely disable the app. If this was something you installed rather than the default app from the manufacturer you should see Uninstall rather than Disable. Click Disable/Uninstall.

Next time you click one of those links it should give you your choice of browsers to use, if you have more than one, then use that as the default after that.

(Based on my Galaxy Tab A 8, running Android 6.0.1)
Agreed, freezing the bloatware would ensure Chrome for all.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Thanks for the suggestions! I went looking for that in the Applications list and unfortunately, I did not find anything that resembled a generic browser such as "Internet", "web", or "Browser." I know my girlfriend's S3 has a generic browser like that but I didn't see it on my S6. Chrome is set as my default browser and as far as I can remember, it was the default browser that was installed on the phone when I initially received it.

I'm thinking it's somehow baked into one of the other Google apps, possibly Google Now? I'm not sure. I think this alternate browser started showing up when the phone was updated to Marshmallow, or now that I think about it more, it could have come from an update to Google Now. Or maybe it was even a combination of the two.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I went looking for that in the Applications list and unfortunately, I did not find anything that resembled a generic browser such as "Internet", "web", or "Browser." I know my girlfriend's S3 has a generic browser like that but I didn't see it on my S6. Chrome is set as my default browser and as far as I can remember, it was the default browser that was installed on the phone when I initially received it.

I'm thinking it's somehow baked into one of the other Google apps, possibly Google Now? I'm not sure. I think this alternate browser started showing up when the phone was updated to Marshmallow, or now that I think about it more, it could have come from an update to Google Now. Or maybe it was even a combination of the two.
Go to Settings, Application Manager, scroll across the top to All, scroll down and you should see this
1a98d6f62b2adbfe35d1adf644ea7acc.jpg

On my Note4 it can't be frozen without root but tap it, scroll down to the bottom and tap clear defaults.
90c67bd54e2daacfa0a6370f772c6a46.jpg

Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Thanks, but still no luck there. I even opened the options to show system apps and there isn't an "Internet" option listed:

Screenshot_20160905-112225.png

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
SM-G920V on Verizon Wireless.