Cell standby draining the battery

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't changed anything or even installed an app the last week.
My phone was at 70% this morning, and stayed this way until about 2pm. I didnt use it at all. (i was sleeping) At 2pm i recieved a call and was on the phone for 2min. After this call i put my phone down and went back to sleep. I woke up at 5pm and my phone was at 30%.... I am perplexed here. I went to the "battery use" thing and it said:
Cell Standby 70%
Display 5%
Juice Defender 4%
Phone Idle 6%
browser 5%
android system 3%
Voice Calls 3%
Pocket Empires 2%
Wi-Fi 2%

How could the cell standby drain my battery so fast? I know for sure that none of my programs were being used at the time, those other apps shown like empires i played early in the morning. SHould i change my kernal? Or do you think its an app issue?

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dial *228 and choose option 2

I actually did this already. right when i saw the cell problem but its not going down. I actually had to charge my phone again. Im rewiping my phone i think. If necessary im going to completly reapply the sbf through rsdlite.... i just wish this problem had a quick fix.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Im having this issue too. This has to do with roaming?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Im definetly not roaming. I was in my bed lol, and if your asking what the number does, it updates a list of towers or something. On most 3g related issues this number is a fix.

EbE404

Reaction score
My phone was at 70% this morning, and stayed this way until about 2pm. I didnt use it at all. (i was sleeping) At 2pm i recieved a call and was on the phone for 2min. After this call i put my phone down and went back to sleep. I woke up at 5pm and my phone was at 30%.... I am perplexed here. I went to the "battery use" thing and it said:
Cell Standby 70%
Display 5%
Juice Defender 4%
Phone Idle 6%
browser 5%
android system 3%
Voice Calls 3%
Pocket Empires 2%
Wi-Fi 2%

How could the cell standby drain my battery so fast? I know for sure that none of my programs were being used at the time, those other apps shown like empires i played early in the morning. SHould i change my kernal? Or do you think its an app issue?

Remember, this is not really a quantifiable, absolute number-it is just a usage ratio. All this says is that something was consuming the battery, and the Cell Standby was consuming the larger percentage of it. Unfortunately, this does not really tell you anything , other than there was nothing else in use that was using more of the battery (as a percentage) that that.

It's a bit like ordering a pizza with a friend. There are 8 slices. You eat three and your friend eats one. I can then say that you ate 75% of the pizza consumed, while your friend ate 25%-this only tells me consumption percentage relative to what was consumed, not what was available. This tells me nothing about how much pizza there was when you started or how much is left.

Now, if there was some kind of display that would list consumption in mAh, that would be a quantifiable number that would mean something.

What you are reporting does not sound out of the ordinary to me.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score

Im having this issue too. This has to do with roaming?

Im definetly not roaming. I was in my bed lol, and if your asking what the number does, it updates a list of towers or something. On most 3g related issues this number is a fix.

I was asking a question, money. I read your post. I did the* 228 and option said something about roaming. I was trying to confirm I chose the correct option.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cell Standby 70%
Display 5%
Juice Defender 4%
Phone Idle 6%
browser 5%
android system 3%
Voice Calls 3%
Pocket Empires 2%
Wi-Fi 2%

Remember, this is not really a quantifiable, absolute number-it is just a usage ratio. All this says is that something was consuming the battery, and the Cell Standby was consuming the larger percentage of it. Unfortunately, this does not really tell you anything , other than there was nothing else in use that was using more of the battery (as a percentage) that that.

It's a bit like ordering a pizza with a friend. There are 8 slices. You eat three and your friend eats one. I can then say that you ate 75% of the pizza consumed, while your friend ate 25%-this only tells me consumption percentage relative to what was consumed, not what was available. This tells me nothing about how much pizza there was when you started or how much is left.

Now, if there was some kind of display that would list consumption in mAh, that would be a quantifiable number that would mean something.

70% to 30% in 3 hours while doing nothing is not ordinary. I am well aware of how the tool works, thanks for making me hungry though. I fixed it, reflashing solved the problem.
Sorry if i sound mean, but i'm being driven nuts by the fact that i cant post a question here without getting a overly obvious simple generic answer that i already tried at square one.... (i know your post actually supplied no answer but still) If i actually post a problem its been after 10 or 20 minutes of me figuring out solutions for the problem, and my post is basically a last ditch effort before i nuke my phone (nuke being rsdlite...) So when i post, And get a replys like i have no problem, or an overly obvious answer its a tad frustrating. This is like my fourth thread that has become completely useless for my problems..... I think i need a nap.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Next time why don't you tell us what you've tried?

If someone says their car stopped working, I ask "Did you run out of gas?" I'm not going to start with "get a new engine".

re747

Reaction score
I randomly started having the exact same problem this week! I just posted about it last night actually, I'll post the link so I don't just repeat my story again here, but it's weird that other people are just developing this problem as well. cell standby is usually a big percentage when you have bad service, because it is continuously trying to find a signal. my big thing is that I know for a fact I have service where I am and I have changed nothing, yet I've gone from like 5% to 35%. Is that the same for you?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...huge-increase-cell-standby-battery-usage.html

EbE404

Reaction score
Cell Standby 70%
Display 5%
Juice Defender 4%
Phone Idle 6%
browser 5%
android system 3%
Voice Calls 3%
Pocket Empires 2%
Wi-Fi 2%

70% to 30% in 3 hours while doing nothing is not ordinary. I am well aware of how the tool works, thanks for making me hungry though. I fixed it, reflashing solved the problem.
Sorry if i sound mean, but i'm being driven nuts by the fact that i cant post a question here without getting a overly obvious simple generic answer that i already tried at square one.... (i know your post actually supplied no answer but still) If i actually post a problem its been after 10 or 20 minutes of me figuring out solutions for the problem, and my post is basically a last ditch effort before i nuke my phone (nuke being rsdlite...) So when i post, And get a replys like i have no problem, or an overly obvious answer its a tad frustrating. This is like my fourth thread that has become completely useless for my problems..... I think i need a nap.

You indicated a question about the display you were seeing, gave absolutely no indication of what you had done or tried, ROM, Kernel, etc., and I was trying to provide some insight into a display I have seen a lot of confusion about. Your battery drain might be unusually high, but the percentages you list most certainly are not.

I humbly beg for forgiveness for trying to offer some insight and help you out, hopefully somebody else with a similar question might learn something.

Sheesh...

avaughan0222

Reaction score
I too have just noticed this problem. My battery drained twice today; the first time it said the cell standy was using 70% of the battery and 35% the second time. The only thing I found was different was the weather today. It was extremely windy and I always drop calls when it's windy or if there happens to be a cloud in the sky.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha this is an interesting bump..... Looks like i was mad in this thread. Sorry guys, I must have not had my cereal that day. Although, my second post still holds a something i still believe. "but i'm being driven nuts by the fact that i cant post a question here without getting a overly obvious simple generic answer that i already tried at square one...." Haha this was a tad aggressive, but still amazingly accurate. I bet this is true for some of those other Android kinda vets out their. This thread was in a hole and buried btw, im surprised it was bumped.
Av, are you rooted and such? Did you apply any newer Basebands? Any changes made in the last few days to anything in your kernel and rom?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Some of us in the BB section of this forum are noticing huge CPU usage DECREASES by disabling ad blocking. Not sure what rom you're using but you might want to give this a try.

mrredskin

Reaction score
Some of us in the BB section of this forum are noticing huge CPU usage DECREASES by disabling ad blocking. Not sure what rom you're using but you might want to give this a try.

sorry, acronym definition of BB?

i've noticed battery drains more often throughout the past few weeks, myself