Cause for an exchange? Screen/key backlight problems

Noogums

Reaction score
I'm on 2.0.1 and not rooted.

I just got off a call and after i was done talking and pulled the phone away from my ear the screen didnt come on. I know theres a sensor on top that shuts the phones screen off when it comes close to your face but when i looked at the screen to touch the end call button the screen wouldnt come on. So then i hit the lock button on top and the lit buttons on the bottom went off and i hit it once more and the screen didn't come on. i did it all again and it didnt work so i took the battery out to restart it. so that was problem 1.

My second problem. The back lights behind the keyboard and below the screen are never on in the right situations. in broad daylight theyll be on, but in pitch black they refuse to come on unless i turn off then on the auto brightness in settings.

is there any fixes or have others had this problem? Should i exchange my droid? I got till like the 28th.

TrishtheDish

Reaction score
My phone was doing that as well... after a week or so, it started doing more bizarre things like turning the screen off as soon as I made a call whether it was at my ear or not and then would act like yours where the only way to get the screen to come back on was to slide the keyboard out. Then it started leaving the screen on, on incoming calls resulting in my face hanging up the call. After 3 factory resets, I gave up on the phone and turned it in under warranty for another one.

I am now on my 3rd Droid..... :mad:

Just browsed a little bit and it seems like a lot of people have noticed this problem when they have acquired the Advanced Task Killer.... funny because that was the first app I downloaded on that 2nd phone that was having all of the issues. I am NOT going to DL ATK on this newly activated phone, and see what happens. If you have ATK, get rid of it and try that out.

Last edited:
OP
Noogums

Noogums

Reaction score
yep i got that app. its so useful though! im always using it :( oh well.

no im definitely gonna go exchange it then tomorrow. I didnt get the warranty from verizon, but since its defective, will the standard motorola warranty cover it? (the 1 year or w/e it is) It doesnt really matter because im within 30 days of buying it but i was just curious.

OP
Noogums

Noogums

Reaction score
I would rather exchange it now while i still can. I only got like a couple days left so why not get a fresh one (while i still have an excuse) before that time is up and take advantage?

When i get my new one, i just wont install ATK.

Kaptaink

Reaction score
I just got my droid 4 days ago and installed ATK. Had not used the phone part much but noticed the sceen disappearing during calls when I needed it most. I just read this post and have uninstalled the ATK app. Tomorrow I will check it out again and report back. Thanks for the help.

SJVZW

Reaction score
Backlight goes out while on the phone

I have the same problem too, just got the Mot Droid couple days ago, and most of the time while I am talking on the phone the backlight goes out even if it's not near my ear, so I am not able to press any buttons unless I open the keyboard, so it's kinda annoying, but other than that I love the phone, and I hope someone can help me with this issue! =( I will try uninstalling the TKA and see if that helps...=)

cpinto

Reaction score
I have the same problem too, just got the Mot Droid couple days ago, and most of the time while I am talking on the phone the backlight goes out even if it's not near my ear, so I am not able to press any buttons unless I open the keyboard, so it's kinda annoying, but other than that I love the phone, and I hope someone can help me with this issue! =( I will try uninstalling the TKA and see if that helps...=)

Be sure your fingers are not near the upper left of the screen. If it's even close the sensor thinks it's near your face and blanks the screen as soon as the call connects.

If this only happens in bright light, you have a faulty sensor and the phone should be replaced.

Craig

B3y0ndD34th

Reaction score
I noticed this problem as well... but I use TasKiller with the widget and nuke the apps each time I get ready to shut the screen off... something to think about it this... with TasKiller I can tell it to ignore processes, like my Missed Call, or Open Home, or even Timeriffic... but before you tell it to ignore these fellas it's going to kill them, you need to tell it to ignore certain pieces in order to keep your back light functionality. The screen back light has never been a problem however the menu buttons as well as the keyboard has, just tell your task nuker to leave settings and other required applications alone, it should solve some of the issues, at least it has in my case.