Case/car mount dilemma

OHbowhunter

Reaction score
I have a bit of an issue here fellow Droiders.

This coming Tuesday I am getting my Motorola Droid. But I work in a machine shop where the phone could very easily get scratched. However I would like to be able to use a car mount for navigation purposes. From what I understand the Motorola Car mount will not work with a case.

I am really liking the looks of the Seidio Innocase. But it wont fit into the mount.

Is there a car mount out there that will hold the Droid with the Seidio on it? I would like the mount to be able to swivel for both portrait and landscape views and have a good firm hold on the phone.

I was really hoping to get the dock to, but I guess I cant have it all.

Murz

Reaction score
Last edited:

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
The only downside is that the Seidio car dock that Murz is referring to doesn't rotate for portrait mode. But, I think that's about the best you're going to find right now in terms of a car dock that works with a case.

REMilk

Reaction score
I received the Droid car mount as a Christmas present. I have the Body Glove case on my Droid and the Droid does not fit in the car mount with the Body Glove on.

Last week I purchased a Bracketron Mobile Grip-iT Device Holder With Rotating Vent Mount. It was on sale for $14.95 at Radio Shack. Now I do not like vent mounts, but I knew the holder used a single tab mount, where the Droid holder is a double tab.

I performed surgery on the Droid mount and removed one of the tabs. I used a Dremel tool to cut off the tab and smooth it down. The Bracketron holder fit on the single tab. I put the vent mount away in storage.

Next I played with some magenets until I found one strong enough to signal the switch ion the Droid for the car application and the location of the switch on the Droid. I attached the magnet with double-sided tape to the Bracketron Holder.

I have used this combination for a week in my Honda Element and it works perfectly. It swivels, using the swivel of the Droid mount, 360 degrees allowing me to position it any way I want - horizontal, vertical, etc. The USB charging cable attaches fine and it is not blocked.

It is a bulkier than the Droid mount, but I can leave the Body Glove case on the Droid and still have all functionality of the car mount.

Best of luck, Bob

OP
OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter

Reaction score
Seidio makes a car dock and a media dock that fit the Droid naked or in the Innocase. I have the Innocase and the media dock and am very happy with them. I well prob order the car dock when its available as well. Hopefully they send out another nice discount code before it goes on sale... :p

Innotraveler Car Kit - Car Dock

Desktop Cradle - Multimedia Dock

ps - looks like the car dock is being shipped in limited quantities.
That car dock isnt exactly what I am looking for, but that dock might just be the key. Thanks.

If this one swiveled, I might consider it.:)

I received the Droid car mount as a Christmas present. I have the Body Glove case on my Droid and the Droid does not fit in the car mount with the Body Glove on.

Last week I purchased a Bracketron Mobile Grip-iT Device Holder With Rotating Vent Mount. It was on sale for $14.95 at Radio Shack. Now I do not like vent mounts, but I knew the holder used a single tab mount, where the Droid holder is a double tab.

I performed surgery on the Droid mount and removed one of the tabs. I used a Dremel tool to cut off the tab and smooth it down. The Bracketron holder fit on the single tab. I put the vent mount away in storage.

Next I played with some magenets until I found one strong enough to signal the switch ion the Droid for the car application and the location of the switch on the Droid. I attached the magnet with double-sided tape to the Bracketron Holder.

I have used this combination for a week in my Honda Element and it works perfectly. It swivels, using the swivel of the Droid mount, 360 degrees allowing me to position it any way I want - horizontal, vertical, etc. The USB charging cable attaches fine and it is not blocked.

It is a bulkier than the Droid mount, but I can leave the Body Glove case on the Droid and still have all functionality of the car mount.
You sound a lot like me, fabricate something to exactly what you want.

Great info, thanks.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

This coming Tuesday I am getting my Motorola Droid. But I work in a machine shop where the phone could very easily get scratched. However I would like to be able to use a car mount for navigation purposes. From what I understand the Motorola Car mount will not work with a case.

I am really liking the looks of the Seidio Innocase. But it wont fit into the mount.

Is there a car mount out there that will hold the Droid with the Seidio on it? I would like the mount to be able to swivel for both portrait and landscape views and have a good firm hold on the phone.

So...You say you like the Seidio Case and want a Car Dock to hold it in place, right?

Go to your local VZN Wireless Retail (Corporate Store) and check out the combo package which contains:

-a Seidio Innocase looking and feeling 2 piece case (same soft rubbery feel)
-Car dock with suction
-all for $30.00

This combo package is worth the price and you easily mount your case equipped droid onto the car dock.

It doesn't come with a magnet to have the Droid go into car dock mode...but since you work in a machine shop I'm sure you can be more than resourceful and mod a work-a-round....:icon_ banana:

I don't see a review here yet so I'll be posting one on Saturday....

OP
OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter

Reaction score
So...You say you like the Seidio Case and want a Car Dock to hold it in place, right?

Go to your local VZN Wireless Retail (Corporate Store) and check out the combo package which contains:

-Car dock with suction
-all for $30.00

This combo package is worth the price and you easily mount your case equipped droid onto the car dock.

It doesn't come with a magnet to have the Droid go into car dock mode...but since you work in a machine shop I'm sure you can be more than resourceful and mod a work-a-round....
icon_%20banana.gif

I am looking froward to your review.

Thanks.

akatehpa1n

Reaction score
I am currently using the body glove case. I went to wal-mart and found a scosche car mount for cell phones/ gps devices. They had 3 different styles to choose from, vent mounted, suction to the dash, and suction to the glass. I purchased the one that attaches to the glass, with a flexable arm (for bending and positioning. They included 2 bigger "side clips" which actually hold on to the phone, although on one of the clips there was a patrusion that didnt allow my droid +case to sit correctly, 3 minutes later, after some work with a steak knife, i was able to cleanly snap off the patrusion and my droid + case fits perfect. Hope all of this non sense helped in some way. - PA1N

billj214

Reaction score

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

-Car dock with suction
-all for $30.00

It doesn't come with a magnet to have the Droid go into car dock mode...but since you work in a machine shop I'm sure you can be more than resourceful and mod a work-a-round....
icon_%20banana.gif

I am looking froward to your review.

Thanks.

I ran out of time to do this today...
Tomorrow is another day:)

skidemn

Reaction score

I took a look at the Seidio car and home dock at CES and they are quite nice. The are both well finished and attractive looking, but the functionality of the car mount leaves something to be desired- unless you have the Seidio extended battery which more or less makes this holder a necessity.

My gripe with this car holder, aside from the bulk of it, is the fact that you cannot use it in Portrait mode. For many folks this is not an issue at all, but I have had my Droid from day one and after tons of use with the navigation feature I have found that I much prefer to use it in portrait setting. It also does not work with other brands of cases- well, at least not the brand I was using at the time. Their case is very nice so I am considering switching, but regardless I still would not use their car holder (but I'd certainly use their home dock!)

On my desk (still) is a sample of the Bracketron holder that many people have recommended. We do sell them, but it is not one of my favorites for the droid because it too is bulky, but it does have room for a magnet to put the droid into Car Home automatically.
Bracketron Pic shown with cupholder:
UCH101BL.jpg

Instead, I prefer the holder that is part of this window mount kit (this holder can be used with several mounting options including a vehicle specific option): http://ipodcarparts.com/gripper-holder-wadjustable-window-mount-p-403.html. Pic shown in portrait mode but this holder swivels to landscape too:
droid-GR25311767vt.jpg

I personally use this holder, but I use it with a cigarette lighter mount in one car and a vehicle specific Panavise mount in the other. If you like this type of holder in one of the holder/mount combinations, PM me and I'll give you a coupon code good for 10% off.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

Not sure if something there will work, but I like the idea of a mirror mounted device vs the suction cup...which doesn't always stay stuck to the windshield. I don't like the idea of the plug sitting on the bottom of the Droid either. If the mount falls it can't be good to have the plug slammed into the base. The mount should have been made like the other dock, then the 12v cord could have plugged into the side of the mount rather than the phone itself.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I though this was a great idea. Even saw the post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/16664-win-win-win.html#post152883

Then I read the Amazon reviews and wasn't as impressed. A gooseneck that lets the "made for Droid" car mount attach to it or a "suspended from mirror" idea I'd be all over as I don't care for the suction cup solutions.

While on vacation I used the Droid to take a bunch of 30-60 second video clips. An accessory that let you hold the phone a few feet over your head would be cool too. No camera mount on the phone but some sort of car clamp or other gorillapod (Gorillamobile for 3G/3GS - Joby) might work for cars and elsewhere.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my experience you can't beat mounts that are properly secured to your vehicle. The RAM mounts look good but I've never used them. I generally use Panavise's brackets along with a suitable device holder. ProClip's vehicle mounts aren't too bad but I generally prefer Panavise's solutions.

Be sure to confirm that windshield mounts are allowed in your state.