Car FM Modulator installed, but...

Wraith

Reaction score
After reading all the excellent comments here for adding my Droid audio to my factory stereo, I installed a Fahrenheit EFM-01 modulator into my car. I have a few issues with the audio, but it's not really BAD...just minor issues. Wondering if anyone can comment here...

I sent this to the manufacturer as well, but no response yet.

"I just installed your efm-01 into my 2004 eclipse with factory stereo. I made sure I used the accessory line (12V), and grounded to chassis. It appears to work, but I have the following issues, are these normal?
1) with channel on, no audio input and volume low, there is a very slight buzz sound.
2) most, if not all, the stereo audio from my mp3 player is going to front speakers. The back of my car is quiet.
3) the audio is almost full, but amplitude is slightly short...around 90% compared to radio stations.
The major issue is the front speaker limitation.":icon_eek:

Anyone know of a better modulator and/or have similar issues?

Thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
FM transmitters are notoriously crappy. Might I suggest looking for an aftermarket attachment like the devices sold by USA Spec and GROM Audio?

I've never managed to get an FM transmitter to work well, maybe someone with more car experience can help you out.

Skaggz

Reaction score
1 and 3 sound like the typical effects of using an FM modulator. Not sure about 2, it could be the way your MP3 player outputs sound, could be the modulator, could be your stereo's settings.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
why not just get an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth streaming or aux input?

OP
Wraith

Wraith

Reaction score
@kwmayo : Not a transmitter. Please know what you are talking about before commenting. Thanks.

@Skaggz: Still in stereo from Droid. Just going to front...methinks it's this modulator output....will wait from manufacturer or call them.

@other 2 people: Didn't want to do the stereo replacement for the following reasons/complications:
1) Not sure if audio output on Droid goes through USB.
2) Do not like wireless solutions (transmitter or BT).
3) My factor stereo sounds great. No need to upgrade.
4) Looked into it for HD, but I live about 20 miles outside city, so HD drops.
5) Eclipse has stereo controls, that would require another cable (in addition to aftermarket cable). I wanted simple, but good solution.

I will change my modulator , if necessary, for better sound, but that is the limit of my venture, as the sound quality is good, just mostly in front 3 speakers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Odds are pretty good that you can get a line in adapter for your OEM stereo, especially if it has CD changer or sat radio inputs. Even the best modulators aren't that great IMO as there is a tradeoff in sound quality.

I don't see how the modulator could affect audio to your rears. If you had a surround head unit (highly unlikely) that would be possible but on a stereo head unit the rears carry the same audio as the fronts.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
@kwmayo : Not a transmitter. Please know what you are talking about before commenting. Thanks.

@Skaggz: Still in stereo from Droid. Just going to front...methinks it's this modulator output....will wait from manufacturer or call them.

@other 2 people: Didn't want to do the stereo replacement for the following reasons/complications:
1) Not sure if audio output on Droid goes through USB.
2) Do not like wireless solutions (transmitter or BT).
3) My factor stereo sounds great. No need to upgrade.
4) Looked into it for HD, but I live about 20 miles outside city, so HD drops.
5) Eclipse has stereo controls, that would require another cable (in addition to aftermarket cable). I wanted simple, but good solution.

I will change my modulator , if necessary, for better sound, but that is the limit of my venture, as the sound quality is good, just mostly in front 3 speakers.

If you're going to shoot down what everyone has to say, then you're SOL. I explicitly said it wasnt an FM modulator-based solution, and the other posts following me offered the similar suggestions.

Again, FM modulators are notoriously crappy. It's just part of the game. If you'd like to discuss alternatives or solutions, we can, but shooting down every suggestion will get you nowhere. Also consider the possibility that there is no solution that is both good, and meets your personal requirements.

OP
Wraith

Wraith

Reaction score
@LtKen:
Wow. Are you a regular troll on these boards or new?
How does your response help me in any way?
Your original response had "transmitter" in it twice. Obviously not on topic. I specifically stated I wired mine in. So, you didn't bother reading my post.
A response of "FM modulators are notoriously crappy" does not help, I asked very specific questions and you did not bother addressing them at all.
Please , just go away, you already made me respond twice to useless confrontational information.

@takeshi:
On your response, I called the dealer (as directed by the factor stereo manufacturer) and they found no option. They suggested I call a local high end stereo shop, and they wanted to look at it (did not know). I also tried calling the modulator manufacturer and their tech line answering machine has it's mail box full! So, unless you can point me to a cable or better FM modulator, it appears I am stuck.

I would still bet it is the cheap FM modulator I got (Fahrenheit EFM-01) , as all the radio signals sound fine from the antenna (now going through modulator). But I would like some confirmation from someone who has gotten a "high quality" modulator to work.

vatothe0

Reaction score
I used an Audiovox fm-100 in my last car and it worked great. Sounded just as good as the best FM radio station in town.

Is the buzz only present when the car is running? If so, look into either a toroid coil or standard power filter coil. The filter coil would be easiest.

I take it #2 is in contrast to your other audio inputs? This really sounds like an issue with the radio or its amplifier and nothing to do with the modulator.

Probably no way to fix #3 unless the modulator has input gain adjustment. If its a cheap (<$50) modulator it probably won't.

OP
Wraith

Wraith

Reaction score
Buzzing is only noticeable with no audio input and volume up.

Have not tried other input, guessing it will be same...may try that.

Good to know it may be possible with another set-up. May try another modulator...