Car dock question

pjo1966

Reaction score
I was wondering if a car dock existed where the power line ran into the dock, and the Droid just popped in and charged. With the setup I have now, before I pop the Droid into the mount, I need to plug it in. It's not a big deal, I just think it would be a cleaner solution if the mount plugged into the socket rather than the Droid. That's how my old Garmin worked, as well as my Sirius radio.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Seidio car dock has a charging feature like what you are looking for.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
ProClipUSA.com sells one as well, but will only work with a "naked" droid. That's the one I use in my car...

JimmyD

Reaction score
ProClipUSA.com sells one as well, but will only work with a "naked" droid. That's the one I use in my car...

Wait, are you saying that ProClip makes one with a charging feature built-in? (Because that's what this thread is about... the charging feature built-into a car-mount, not simply the car-mount itself)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's very easy to find out:
ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

512104.jpg-480x480

ProClipUSA.com sells one as well
4, actually:

Cigarette lighter adapter w/ magnet
Cigarette lighter adapter w/o magnet
Straight power cord w/ magnet
Straight power cord w/o magnet

...now let's see the posts griping about the pricing... :D

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
It's very easy to find out:
ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

512104.jpg-480x480

ProClipUSA.com sells one as well
4, actually:

Cigarette lighter adapter w/ magnet
Cigarette lighter adapter w/o magnet
Straight power cord w/ magnet
Straight power cord w/o magnet

...now let's see the posts griping about the pricing... :D

Love it! It looks like it's got a ball socket, so it should work with the sandbag mount I have until I get my next car. I love that they give you the option of getting the dock without the magnet. I hate that it defaults to Car Home whenever it goes in the dock. I prefer my own home screen.

The prices are a little high, but it looks like the solution for my problem. Thanks for the info.

needsnumbers

Reaction score
Buy the motorola multi media docking station, get a cig adapter for power, modify the back of the docking station by removing the backing "sticker", pry out the magnet, flip it over, put sticker back on and then figure how to mount the dock in your car.
It's easy, it's one handed, and it's cheap. Downsides are that it requires some fabrication on mounting the station securely and the phone isn't really secured, just kinda laying there. For me it's been perfect. Loven it and was WAY cheaper and more convenient than alternatives which require 2 hands to snap it in/together. This just allows me to one hand slip the phone into my cradle and it's got the "car mode" with the magnet being flipped around :)

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
Almost time to get my new car, so I'm revisiting this. For those who have the ProClip mount, is there enough clearance to plug a cable into the AUX jack on top? My current mount sort of clears it, but not completely.

tennvol

Reaction score
Does the Pro-clip have a standard ball and socket mount so I can use my Garmin beanbag? Also - how long is the straight power cord? I need it to be 15ft or so.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you can buy a power cord extention. that would not be an issue...they are pretty cheap.

JSmallS

Reaction score
That Motorola mount is pretty cool, i didn't realize it had a USB plug in it until i looked at the picture more closely. pretty neat gadget, just a little over priced i think...