Car Dock and Overheating??

kpiskin

Reaction score
I use a Garmin weighted dash mount and since November I frequently ran the GPS (google maps) in the car mount without a problem. I noticed the heat/battery discharge issue as the weather and temps have improved. I think the external heat on the Droid through the windshield is too much even if you have the AC on. As soon as I remove it from the mount and then place the phone in front of an AC vent the phone starts charging again.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Drastic changes in temps always results in some, if not lots, of condensation. Moving your phone from a hot windshield to a cold A/C vent may develop other issues. I am going to try to mount the phone someplace that it will make a long haul trip.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Not that anybody is probably in the mood to pay 30 bucks for a app but Copilot my be an option as all the maps are stored on the device. That might cut down on the heat due to the lower 3G usage.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Not that anybody is probably in the mood to pay 30 bucks for a app but Copilot my be an option as all the maps are stored on the device. That might cut down on the heat due to the lower 3G usage.

Doesn't matter. I drove 45 minutes today in relatively cool weather 65 degrees out, running zero apps and the thing still hit 120F in the sun. Took it down and it started charging right at 118F. Even while charging it was cooling off. I turned on maps and listened to a ball game on MLB and it went well below 100F out of the sun.

The hot sun is the culprit. Without question. Verizon should give refunds out for anyone who bought a car mount because it's worthless in the summer.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

I am a mobile on the run guy. I have used every GPS unit in the store. Most have better ancillary features than "Maps" on the Droid, but none have had as good/accurate/up to date maps as Google. If I want maps stored on a device, I'll use my stand alone GPS unit. But I might complain at my VZW store where I bought my windshield mount, and then mount the Droid somewhere else.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
It may not be the sun causing this issue. In post #45 my Droid got hot in a windshield mount 4 hours into an 8 hour trip and stopped charging.

I made my 8 hour return trip yesterday. I found a spot to lean my Droid on the console. The phone was shaded the entire trip. No direct sunlight ever touched the Droid. I had meat locker temp A/C running in the car the whole time. At about 4 hours in, (same as in the windshield) using GPS and Pandora and a phone call or 2, the phone got hot and stopped charging.

Marathon multi-tasking may be too much.

queueman

Reaction score
Overheating

I notice the Droid gets really hot when I'm using the navigation. Does anyone know if this causes damage to the phone?

tkimball00

Reaction score
when a battery gets hot it discharges at a higher rate regardless of it it is in a charger or a phone being plugged in

pk92

Reaction score
Have you guys ever considered getting your windows tinted?

I recently bought a dock that plugs into my cigarette lighter which I used to play music from my phone to the stereo and noticed how hot it got.

I was planning on getting my windows tinted tomorrow anyways since it'll cut back on the heat on my 21 hour car ride to Utah (I'm from Chicago but I'm driving out to my college in Utah so I can have my car). I figure this way, it'll drastically reduce the temperature inside the car.

As well as looking stylish :)

(Just make sure to look up your window tint laws because it varies from state to state. Also check for lifetime warranties against bubbling, discolorization, peeling, etc).

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Tint to be stylish if you like, but not for phone temps, it won't help

pk92

Reaction score
Tint to be stylish if you like, but not for phone temps, it won't help

Well, tints reflect up to 57% of heat that enters your vehicle and 5-50% of sunlight into your car. So people who complain about how the sun comes down on their dock, that would solve it somewhat. The internal temperature of your car would be significantly lowered, which would certainly provide a cooler environment for your battery.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Read post #53..... and my windows are tinted. It won't help the phone, but I do personally like the cooling effect of tinted windows

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever considered getting your windows tinted?
Mine are. Can't tint the windshield in this state though so it really doesn't help.

Well, tints reflect up to 57% of heat that enters your vehicle and 5-50% of sunlight into your car.
Where are you getting these numbers from? The performance of the tint depends on the specific film you're talking about. My tint, for example, has 92% heat rejection and I'm using 20% and 30% tint. There aren't one-size-fits-all specs for every film out there...

In any case, GPS is really one of the biggest culprits for the issue being discussed in this thread.

Last edited: