Car Dock Alternative

Starsushi

Reaction score
Last edited:

sir

Reaction score
i do like my friction stand for my garmin. especially since GPS units are the #1 reason people's cars are broken into in NC, it's nice to be able to take it down and put it in the glove compartment and no one would ever know there was something there (like suction cup marks).

Shel

Reaction score
Can either of you tell me how the device is held in place?

I just purchased a Droid holder for the car, which inserts into the cig lighter/charger, and I'm not happy with it.

I"d have to force it into the part that holds the Droid... it has two "feet", which the bottom of the Droid goes into, and a "Tab" at the top to hold the top of the Droid.

Problem is, the tab at the top has no handle to pull it back, so I'm afraid that once the Droid is in there, getting it out will be a pain, and I do NOT want to scratch up my week old Droid!

It's going back... but... the one you linked to doesn't show anything holding it at the top. Do the sides come together and squeeze the phone/gps to hold it firmly in place? Are the side tabs/arms padded? Is it secure once it's in there?

The holder looks like the sides don't move, but I don't get how it could hold different types of phones then?

anyways, any help would be appreciated!

skidemn

Reaction score
Car holder for Droid

Here's the iGrip holder I use for my Droid. In this photo I'm using it with a cigarette lighter mount, but many other mounting options are available. As you can see from the picture, the Droid is in car mode which I accomplished by adding a magnet inside the holder. Depending on the orientation of the magnet, you can make it go into car mode or dock mode for home. I'm actually going to be removing the cigarette lighter mount for a Panavise custom mount I have for my truck and I'll post a pic when done.

As I mentioned in another thread, I work for a company that sells this type of stuff so I won't link them here but if you are interested you can private message me for the info. If I get time I'll make a video showing how simple it is to make your home or car dock with this holder and a magnet from Lowe's.

OP
Starsushi

Starsushi

Reaction score
Can either of you tell me how the device is held in place?

Do the sides come together and squeeze the phone/gps to hold it firmly in place? Are the side tabs/arms padded? Is it secure once it's in there?

There is a button on the side that when pressed opens up the two arms. You then squeeze them together to hold the phone in place. They are well padded. I do though put my hand underneath the phone when I press the button to release it just to be safe.

There are also two feet on the bottom that you can adjust for extra support.

Behind this support piece / phone resting place is a knob which I also tighten up whenever I make an adjustment to the direction everything is facing.

I've found it to be quite secure.

pilot25

Reaction score
the Verizon stock car mount works with the Garmin weighted mount. You just take the piece that is connected to the ball on the Verizon mount and put it on the Garmin mount. The balls are the same size.

jdmarsh2g

Reaction score
I'm looking for some for the motorola droid that also allow it to go horizontal... does anyone know of any.... or not out yet....

jdmarsh2g

Reaction score
Understandable... I should have elaborated ... I would like the friction style holder so that it isn't sitting against the dash of the window.... ... suction based there is also a possibility that it will fall ...
I would like the friction style holder I can just take right down

skidemn

Reaction score
Understandable... I should have elaborated ... I would like the friction style holder so that it isn't sitting against the dash of the window.... ... suction based there is also a possibility that it will fall ...
I would like the friction style holder I can just take right down

By friction style I'm guessing you mean the type shown here:
phpThumb.php

You can use this mat with a window mount that swivels if you do not want to attach the window mount to the window. You can also just get a window mount that also comes with the adhesive pad (kind of like seen in the center of the Nav-Mat above) that sticks to the dash top and allows the suction cup to attach there instead of the window. Here some pics of the window mount we have and it comes with an adhesive pad, and I also put the magnetic inside for to automatically put it into Car Home mode:
Vertical view
droid-GR25311767vt.jpg

Horizontal view
droid-GR25311767.jpg

Here's a link to the item: Gripper Holder w/Adjustable Window Mount by: iGrip - iPodCarParts.com: and if you email me I have a coupon code for 10% off. Of course there are also many other holder and mount styles out there, but this works with the friction style you mentioned.

jdmarsh2g

Reaction score
Thanks

You answered my questions will re-read and see about finding these accessories....

jdmarsh2g

Reaction score
Cases and Mount

Are you able to keep your case on the phone while having it within the mount?
Seems with the IGrip your able to keep your case on the phone.

OP
Starsushi

Starsushi

Reaction score
With the one I have you can. The part that holds the Droid in is similar to what is shown in the iGrip photos.

By the way, mine has been getting quite the workout on the terribly pot hold streets of the Boston area. It has been doing a terrific job in both the vertical and horizontal positions.

datacreek

Reaction score
Can you charge while using the Arkon Weighted "Friction Style" Dash Mount & Holder. It looks a little iffy, like the side clamps might block the charging cable from access.

This is the style I would like to go with but want to charge while using. I'm hoping someone who has used this will post.

Also does it work in landscape.

Thanks,