Car audio connector with no AUX outlet?

elyshalynn

Reaction score
I've been looking for this EVERYWHERE and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm just lazy...

I want to listen to music from my Droid, in my car. I don't think I'm asking too much here. However, I can't seem to find a cable/hook-up that would work with my car stereo? I don't have an AUX outlet, just a CD player. Years ago I had an mp3 player and bought a connector that worked through the FM radio and the charging outlet...anything like this for Droid? Or can someone tell me how the hell I'm supposed to enjoy my music in my car? Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you still have the rf modulator that will work. However the only other way is to replace your headunit in your car.

jloya

Reaction score
I used to work in car stereo installation, unfortunately if your stock stereo doesnt have a AUX Input theres not much you can do. You can either us a RF modulator (i had one of these and the sound quality is terrribble) next you can replace your stereo....nowadays you can get a decent car stereo for about 120

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Really?? Am I the only person withOUT an AUX outlet in my car stereo? I can imagine this being an issue for other Droid users...

I find this irritating.

I've never had a car stereo that had a aux-in I always used tape insert thingie or an FM transmitter. I've tried a couple of different ones and they all work but the radio transmitters pickup a lot of noise, clicks and pops and buzzes.

Pain or damage or even beatings don't end the world. The world end when you're dead. Until then you have more punishment store. Stand out like a man and give some back. Oh yeah I still use Tapatalk.

Stretch2m

Reaction score
There are FM doohickeys that you can get at Radio Shack, etc., that supposedly hijack an FM station and then you can broadcast from your Droid's headphone jack (or any other device with a headphone jack). And it worked great when I was sitting in a parked car, but as soon as I started to drive around it was almost impossible to find an available frequency from all the radio station interference. I returned it, resigned that I will just have to wait until a new car stereo is in my budget.

OP
E

elyshalynn

Reaction score
Well that sucks the big one :/ Maybe I'll try one of those transmitter things. When I used it with my mp3 I remember it being ok? I drive a ****box and honestly can't justify buying a new radio for it at this point.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone that has said "fm thingy" is an rf modulator. Fyi.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
OK so the FM transmitter is called a FM modulator but what's the cassette tape thingie called?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The FM units suck if you are traveling. You have to keep changing to new un-used frequencies. They seem to have a lot of noise.

For me, the cassette adapter works much better. I bought one at Best Buy for 24 dollars and it works flawlessly.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had an mp3 player and bought a connector that worked through the FM radio and the charging outlet...anything like this for Droid?
A modulator is a modulator. You don't need one specifically designed for the Droid.

If you still have the rf modulator that will work. However the only other way is to replace your headunit in your car.
I wouldn't assume that. The aftermarket does make aux in adapters for many factory stereos. Im not saying there's definitely one for the OP but there's the possibility.

I can imagine this being an issue for other Droid users...
I use an iPod. There's just nowhere near enough room on the SD card and my car's head unit has an iPod interface so the device itself can remain hidden and in the car all the time.

The FM units suck if you are traveling. You have to keep changing to new un-used frequencies. They seem to have a lot of noise.
...or if you live in a major city with a lot of radio stations. Or if you care about sound quality. They're best left as a last resort.

Another problem is that they vary so much in performance. Price doesn't mean a thing either. I had a cheap Scosche that worked really well but it was discontinued long, long ago.

OK so the FM transmitter is called a FM modulator but what's the cassette tape thingie called?
It's just a cassette adapter.

Last edited:

fdkatz

Reaction score
I got a Monster 300 from Radio Shack that works pretty well. If you are between Conn and Boston, you should have available empty FM stations. The sound is actually pretty good.