Cant set up aol email mail

wovendark

Reaction score
I was Hoping some one could help me, I don't know a hole lot about phones or computers and I am having trouble trying to set up my email on my new droid phone, I keep getting "cannot connect to mail sever to verify your account information. your server is not responding" message.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Aol is better used if u set up the webmail...they have a good android ui

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was Hoping some one could help me, I don't know a hole lot about phones or computers and I am having trouble trying to set up my email on my new droid phone, I keep getting "cannot connect to mail sever to verify your account information. your server is not responding" message.

I recently did this... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html Which will allow you to setup your g-mail account to check AOL for you.

However, I ALSO setup my AOL address through the e-mail app [With the yellow rectangle coming out of the envelope that has the @ on it], and had no problem connecting to the server.

You might try going to AOL on your computer and finding the information on setting up Pop3 [for outlook and other computer programs], then return to the app, put in your email address and password [full address, not JUST username] and then click "manual setup" to put those settings in yourself.

[P.S. AOL does really suck. I'm phasing mine out. Trying to make sure all of my important stuff is changed.]

OP
W

wovendark

Reaction score
Ya aol does suck, this email started as a netscape email account six years ago which might be part of the problem because its a .netscape.net address but goes to aol since they took it over. I was able to set up a new aol account and was able to use it on my phone so the netscape.net part must be the problem. I dont know if i am just out of luck then or not?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ya aol does suck, this email started as a netscape email account six years ago which might be part of the problem because its a .netscape.net address but goes to aol since they took it over. I was able to set up a new aol account and was able to use it on my phone so the netscape.net part must be the problem. I dont know if i am just out of luck then or not?

Did you try that link for setting up G-mail to check your account? I can't see [at this point] why that wouldn't work.

Kind of a crappy workaround, but if you want to keep them totally separate, you could always create a new g-mail account and set that one up to receive those e-mails, as well as return/compose from the netscape.net address...

OP
W

wovendark

Reaction score
I downloaded that Email app and it worked Great! Thanks Jonny Kansas

bigthinker

Reaction score
If you are still having problems...Don't be affraid to reach out to VZW over the phone....They can be a great help!

Drakkarr

Reaction score
How to set up my Droid email to send/receive Netscape, AOL or AIM emails?

Setting up access to the AOL or AIM Mail servers is simple, and the settings are similar for most email applications.

The basic information that you need to keep in mind to set up your email application using IMAP and POP3 is as follows:
  • Your email address is [email protected] or [email protected].
  • Be sure to include the @aol.com or @aim.com suffix.
  • The incoming mail (POP) server address is imap.aol.com and imap.aim.com for IMAP, and pop.aol.com or pop.aim.com for POP3.
  • Select the check box for leaving messages on the server.
  • The outgoing mail (SMTP) server address is smtp.aol.com or smtp.aim.com, port: 587.
  • Your user name is your AOL or AIM screen name.
  • Your password is your AOL or AIM password.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't know AOL was still a thing..... does it still make that ear splitting noise when you connect? :eek:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure if it's still active or not, but the thread died in 2010. For some reason it was resurrected today with a post linking some kind of software to download. o_O