Can't Live Without Droid 2 Apps, Settings, and anything else thats interesting.

leakim13

Reaction score
Hey y'all this is my first thread so i hope I dont get tumbleweeds lol

My reasoning behind this post is that there isnt a thread that i could find that was like the oen i used a lot for the D1.

first a little history...

I am an upgrade from D1 to the D2... I bought my D1 off a friend for $50 and when i activated it i had some services that i had had on my old omnia that were no longer necessary and i ended up saving about $30 a month... (super sweet) but the verizon lady said that i could not keep my Assurion insurance active due to blah blah phone out of warranty blah... oh well i thought...

I was really stoked to get into the droid...i spent hours and hours reading everything i could find, i got rooted, i tried kernals, roms, themes, was overclocked and running amazingly... then i had the movie slo mo phone flip in front of ur face as it slipped out of my hand while trying to answer a call... NOOOOOOOO as it landed face down perfectly flat on a rock... shotgunned the screen. And that night just for giggles i went online to Assurion's website and filed a claim... to my surprise it worked.. and not only did it work but they were out of D1s... by 10am the next day i had a brand new D2 delivered to my office... first time in my life i have ever been really really happy with verizon and the companies they deal with...

I was rooted by the next day.

But there is a lot of differences between D1 life and D2 life. A lot of things dont work on the newer much more ridiculously awesome D2, but the D1 was obviously much more configurable and easier to hack. That i get or we would be seeing a lot of Roms and kernal and theme options which we are severely lacking, and i give the Devs that work with the D2 all the credit in the world, i also understand that the timing of the releases of phones led to not a lot of people going D2 and more going X which is fine...

So my question(s) to all you D2 peeps is this:

What are the HAVE to have apps that you have on your phone... What do you use a billion times a day and why? What themes have you tried (if rooted)? Why did you like and dislike them? What Rom are you running (also rooted) and why does that one work better than others you have tried? What are the settings that you have found that work out the best for you and why?

I have found that running Squidly's 2.3.2 Rom with full blur, i am a big fan of how the messaging is set up and as long as u dont install the market facebook app, you dont get that junked up contact list where u cant see numbers etc.. I am using Launcher pro with it as opposed to ADW, its just organized in the way that my brain works... and runns super smooth. I am overclocked to 1.3 but dont need it to be that fast very often.

Top 5 Apps i cant live without, and use absolutely all the time and why:

1. Dolphin DH - it just seems faster and is much better organized once you get used to it.
2. Go Chat - i had meebo and echat before but i really only chat on facebook and this seems to have the least about of issues with logging off, now only if they could link to the m.facebook.com site instead of the touch site that would be awesome. (Sidenote - why do we get the shaft when it comes to facebook, i mean seriously... its ridiculous that we have to deal with such go awful apps for this very heavily used app...)
3. DLNA - i inherited my fathers 4500 cd collection and over the last few years have loaded it all to my computer(s) and my house is basically a huge wifi music server and this gives me access to everything and i like to keep changing what i have on my phone as my job is driving intensive.
4. LogMeIn - I am an insurance agent and i have an office computer in town and a server in another state with all my client data on it, so beign able to log in and in a split second have what i need when in front of said client is amazing.
5. PrinterShare - goes along with above.

As far as settings go, i really like a clean look so here is my Home screen, i use all 3 docks available and have both click and swipe activated on most apps in the dock.

I just wanted to also add that speaking for all us relatively new guys, we really really appreciate everything you jedi masters do for us, and help us with on a daily basis, its really amazing how knowlegable, kind and patient you are with people trying to learn. You really do make the world a better place to be :)

EKd2

Reaction score
How did you get your home screen set up like that? With the clock and weather.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
L

leakim13

Reaction score
its just a free widget from the market called "fancy widget". You need to use the location code for where u live from MSN.com (at first but then u can have GPS update it) so make sure u follow the directions.

event121

Reaction score
That's how mine is set too - different font, weather on the right, LP Glass (I use the Navigation icon for App Drawer in the middle), very minimal.

I have to have:
ESPN Sports Center
SilentModeOnOff
DroidLight
Rhapsody

EKd2

Reaction score
I see you are rooted also. I'm a new droid user coming over from a limited blacberry OS. I've been searching the forum for info on rooting and I have only found instructions on rooting. I want to know why I should root my phone. I'm skeptical of doing it because I don't want to ruin my new phone because I love it!
Thank you for your help.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not trying to get into an apps discussion but #1 must have app for me is and always will be Screebl. If you haven't tried it, by all means do.