Cant find music or gallery after ICS Update to Droid Bionic

shoelessjosh

Reaction score
Please help. I updated my Droid Bionic last night to Ice Cream Sandwich. I started the download around 6pm. By 4am, it still said "Upgrading Media Database." At this point, i took out the battery and put it back in. Seems to be working fine-ish. However, i cant access any of the the pictures in my gallery or any of my music. I tried taking out the SD card and rebooting. Then powering off and putting my SD Card back in. Still nothing. I also noticed in my list of apps, there is a red outline on the top right corner of "My Music" and "My Gallery."

I have never rooted my phone. I would prefer not to do a factory reset, especially if that involved reinstalling all of my apps. Can anyone please please help me figure out how to once again access my music and photos?

One other thing i noticed is that it has taken a much longer time to charge my phone after the ICS update.

Thanks again.

jayrod

Reaction score
By pulling the battery I'm sorry to say..you'll need to do an FDR. Since you're not rooted you can't back up your apps and app settings. Have you connected your phone to a computer to see if you can copy pics. and music? If you can just copy those folders to your computer,FDR then copy those folders back.

OP
S

shoelessjosh

Reaction score
With a factory reset, i will have to reinstall all of my apps and re-customize my phone, right? Is it possible to do this without having to reinstall all of my apps?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
With a factory reset, i will have to reinstall all of my apps and re-customize my phone, right? Is it possible to do this without having to reinstall all of my apps?

Yes you will have to completely reset up your phone if you d a FDR.

The red outline indicates motocast file. (similar to zumocast but updated version that is not completely functional on Bionic like zumocast.)

When you say cant access - I am assuming wont open up ?

You can try a couple of things before doing a FDR.
1. go into manage apps & find the gallery app & music app click on them & clear cache & data for the app.
this fixed my wife's camera app that would not open.

2. boot into recovery mode & do a system cache & data clear.
This will wipe out any data associated with all your apps and system info so they can start clean.
Some of these files appear to be getting corrupted when the ICS update is applied for some.

If that does not work there is a thread that specifically address the media issue that may help.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able access photos and music via a third party app, or is the battery pull corrupting it completly?

OP
S

shoelessjosh

Reaction score
I was not yes able to plug it in a computer - but i did put my SD card in a different phone and was able to access all of my music/photos on the other phone.

My phone is not rooted.

Cant access = wont open and cant play music or look at any photos on any app on my phone.

Also, unrelated, but with medium use of my phone, it went from 100% battery to 50% battery in less than 2 hours. Whats the deal with that?

billm21

Reaction score
I am having the identical problem, so you are not alone. My phone was also churning on and on with the "Upgrading Media Database" until I took it off the charger for about 15 minutes and the battery uncharged completely. Obviously this is a flaw in the ICS upgrade that was provided to us. I'm hoping there are other ways to fix without doing a complete factory reset. How many other users had the same experience? For those of you who haven't yet upgraded, BEWARE!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was not yes able to plug it in a computer - but i did put my SD card in a different phone and was able to access all of my music/photos on the other phone.

My phone is not rooted.

Cant access = wont open and cant play music or look at any photos on any app on my phone.

Also, unrelated, but with medium use of my phone, it went from 100% battery to 50% battery in less than 2 hours. Whats the deal with that?

The phone needs to be powered off and on a few times to let the update settle in. You might want to clear your cache.

I don't know if this will work, but maybe remove the sd card and transfer all the music, pictures and folders to your pc. Then replace the sd card and let the phone format it. Then move the stuff back. There should be a new LOST file appear so, don't try to put the old one in.

Unfortunately it seems that if you have a lot of music, the "Updating Media Database" can take hours. I have about 15 songs and 99 videos, but the install itself took about 40 minutes.

The best solution at the moment is to temporally move the music to your pc until the update is installed.

Last edited:

CMD130

Reaction score
Let me step in and ask, my intention is not to hijack but is related.

Let me state, like an idiot, I did not back up.

Have I lost all my photos if I did what the original poster did?

Please tell me my photos are still on my phone somewhere.

I will be heart-broken if my photos are gone!

Thanks.

simiangrudge

Reaction score
You try opening the apps manager and clearing data and cache for Gallery and My Music after a force stop?

OP
S

shoelessjosh

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that posted a reply. Last night, I did a factory data reset. While extremely annoying and time consuming to reset my preferences, apps, etc... Its all in working order this morning with all of my music, photos and data restores. Motorola/Google/Verizon etc should try and figure out a way to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

billm21

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that posted a reply. Last night, I did a factory data reset. While extremely annoying and time consuming to reset my preferences, apps, etc... Its all in working order this morning with all of my music, photos and data restores. Motorola/Google/Verizon etc should try and figure out a way to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

I also did a factory reset last evening and it went much more smoothly than I anticipated. My photos from my gallery even reappeared. Google had backed up what applications I had downloaded, and started reloading them without any action on my part. I had to reset preferences and set up my email client again, but it wasn't too much effort.

mommadarla

Reaction score

How do I do a factory reset? I am having the same problems....can't access pictures or music. I can't even use my camera, instagram, or any other camera app. My battery drains so fast and my phone gets really hot. SO frustrated!!!

billm21

Reaction score
How do I do a factory reset? I am having the same problems....can't access pictures or music. I can't even use my camera, instagram, or any other camera app. My battery drains so fast and my phone gets really hot. SO frustrated!!!

Go to System Settings and then to Privacy. There will be an option to select "Factory data reset"

Indiana Joe

Reaction score
I am also having the same issues except I have an additional problem of not being able to access any apps after the letter "m." Odd. I did not unplug or pull the battery..it took almost two hrs for the ICS update but I had just let it do its thing. VERY frustrating indeed, to not have apps, music, or photos.