Can't find contacts from old phone! please help...

stephens1984

Reaction score
After I purchased the phone I watched the tech person follow through with the data transfer of my old phone's contacts.

Through the day I received calls from some contacts and my droid recognizes them as such. However, when I search through my 'contacts' on the droid all I see are my gmail contacts.

I can do a voice search for a contact I want to call, but nowhere on the droid can I find my list of phone contacts from the initial data transfer. Again, my phone recognizes my contacts when they call, and I can view them in the call log, but I can't search for them.

Very frustrating! I hope I made myself clear on the issue...

melgale

Reaction score
It seems the Droid is pulling your contacts out of your email only - I'm having the same problem. I didn't have my address book set up on my BB so when they moved them over they went into a general location.

To find your contacts - tap your contact shortcut
Tap the "menu" button and tap on "Search"
Type the person you want to search for and tap the magnifying glass
You will find the list of contacts that are entered but don't have an email address tied to them.
The only way I've found to get around this is to add them to my corporate email contact list (My phone sync's with my corporate server)

They are in there, you just have to search for them.

I've also found that if you add a contact on your phone and they fall under the "Google contact", they don't show up in this main list either. You would have to click on your Corporate account to get them to show up.

I haven't found a way to get a contact list of your "Google Contacts" like we have with the Corporate ones.

Hope this helps!
~Mel

RXX

Reaction score
I was told by Verizon yesterday that the backup program won't work from old style phones to droids. ou need to bring it in & they will do it manually.

OP
S

stephens1984

Reaction score
thank you melgale!

Thank you for the swift reply!

Very helpful.

Turns out that I would have to search for each contact I knew I was 'missing', and that would be the only way their name & and # would come up...I then continued to 'join' them with the corresponding gmail/facebook contacts, thusly incorporating them into the broad 'contacts' list.

Thanks again!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on what old phone you had, there are 2 ways for them to do it. One way leaves a .csv file on your SDcard with all your contacts on it.

powellk00

Reaction score
They are all there

I had this same issue. When I went from my BB Storm 1 to the droid. I know I had contacts in my list that werent there.

I talked to a rep in the store and he fixed it for me.

To fix this problem go to:

Contacts
then hit the menu button
then hit the display options button
then tap your gmail account
then a list will appear and you need to tap every setting so you will see all your contacts in the list.

I hope this helps.