Can't download ICS update over wifi

sachfm

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please don't harass me for being a noob. Thanks!

Anyway I am currently living in Brazil but have a verizon htc rezound. I would like to download ICS so i can access global roaming but obviously don't have access to the network, only wifi. But when I go to software upgrade, the option for Check New is grayed out. Is it impossible for me to download the update from wifi only here in Brazil? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please don't harass me for being a noob. Thanks!

Anyway I am currently living in Brazil but have a verizon htc rezound. I would like to download ICS so i can access global roaming but obviously don't have access to the network, only wifi. But when I go to software upgrade, the option for Check New is grayed out. Is it impossible for me to download the update from wifi only here in Brazil? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Couple things here... First off, in order to check for an OTA update you MUST be on the Verizon Network, once it gets the info you can download via WiFi. More importantly (in your case I am guessing) is the fact that the Global Update is not available yet OTA, only the basic ICS update w/o Global Mode support. The Global Mode OTA is expected mid to late September, so the only way to get it now is to download the RUU leak from Android Police and flash it manually, which will wipe all your data because it is a full ROM image and not just an update.

OP
S

sachfm

Reaction score
Couple things here... First off, in order to check for an OTA update you MUST be on the Verizon Network, once it gets the info you can download via WiFi. More importantly (in your case I am guessing) is the fact that the Global Update is not available yet OTA, only the basic ICS update w/o Global Mode support. The Global Mode OTA is expected mid to late September, so the only way to get it now is to download the RUU leak from Android Police and flash it manually, which will wipe all your data because it is a full ROM image and not just an update.

Damn, so it looks like I am SOL. I know rezound users have been able to access global roaming without the update (in fact I can pick up signal and make calls even without unlocking), but in order to get data and sms abilities you need to unlock and download the ROM, which to be honest, is a little bit too overwhelming for me haha. I tried once and nearly bricked my phone- had to factory reset in order to get it back to normal. Either way, thanks a lot for the help, luckily I've got a sweet samsung chocolate bar down here (it's even got T9!) so i'm not totally phoneless.

DroDough

Reaction score
sachfm said:
Damn, so it looks like I am SOL. I know rezound users have been able to access global roaming without the update (in fact I can pick up signal and make calls even without unlocking), but in order to get data and sms abilities you need to unlock and download the ROM, which to be honest, is a little bit too overwhelming for me haha. I tried once and nearly bricked my phone- had to factory reset in order to get it back to normal. Either way, thanks a lot for the help, luckily I've got a sweet samsung chocolate bar down here (it's even got T9!) so i'm not totally phoneless.

You can always download the build from a computer, rename it and place it on the sd card so you can flash to the newest update.