can't boot to recovery...?

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
my motorola droid is rooted and i'm using the sapphire rom. i want to do a nandroid backup but it won't let me boot to recovery. i'm holding down the x button while powering up and it just shows the M icon. after awhile when i'm sure its not going to do anything else, i give up and let go of x and my phone boots up back to normal. is there something wrong? how can i fix this?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my motorola droid is rooted and i'm using the sapphire rom. i want to do a nandroid backup but it won't let me boot to recovery. i'm holding down the x button while powering up and it just shows the M icon. after awhile when i'm sure its not going to do anything else, i give up and let go of x and my phone boots up back to normal. is there something wrong? how can i fix this?

Did you try doing a 30 second battery pull? It will allow the capacitors to fully discharge. Give it a try and get back to us.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Open Rom Manager and reflash Clockwork Recovery, then flash SpRecovery and if you want to use Clockwork,then reflash it again. I am not suggesting that you use Rom Manager to do anything other than this action. I strongly recommend using the recovery of your choice for backups, restores and loading .zip files.

good luck.

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
thanks! i didn't realize i had to first flash sprecovery...is backing up my rom in rom manager the same as doing a nandroid backup?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you used ROM Manager to do your backup, it used clockwork to do that. So if you want to access that backup reflash clockwork and try to reboot into recovery (clockwork recovery). Or use Rom manager to do a restore or to reinstall the Rom.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Steeeler

Reaction score
Open Rom Manager and reflash Clockwork Recovery, then flash SpRecovery and if you want to use Clockwork,then reflash it again. I am not suggesting that you use Rom Manager to do anything other than this action. I strongly recommend using the recovery of your choice for backups, restores and loading .zip files.

good luck.

For whatever reason, I have had this problem a couple of times. That is one thing Clockwork is good for, to flash back and forth and unstuck whatever gets stuck on the recovery.

tu3218

Reaction score
I had this problem and I reflashed sprecovery an then I turned off my phone and tried to boot into recovery. This still didn't work. So I turned my phone back on an reflashed clockwork again. I haven't tried this yet because after I flashed sprecovery an turned my phone back on it appeared as if my when through the boot animation twice, which scared me but it did boot up. any suggestions?

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
If you used ROM Manager to do your backup, it used clockwork to do that. So if you want to access that backup reflash clockwork and try to reboot into recovery (clockwork recovery). Or use Rom manager to do a restore or to reinstall the Rom.

ok but do they both backup the same information?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

ok but do they both backup the same information?

They do, but the backups are not interchangeable. You cannot use a clockwork backup using spr and vice versa.

I used spr for months and months (January to July) and just recently switched to clockwork because it will do installs from sdcard without having to rename the file. I do not use Rom Manager though.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

good luck.

that worked for me ty.... i've been having Rom Manager problems everytime I use it :angry:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ni

good luck.

that worked for me ty.... i've been having Rom Manager problems everytime I use it :angry:

That is why I don't use it. I do use clockwork now instead of spr, but I'm through with RM. I find it fun to do these things manually.

tu3218

Reaction score
I had this problem and I reflashed sprecovery an then I turned off my phone and tried to boot into recovery. This still didn't work. So I turned my phone back on an reflashed clockwork again. I haven't tried this yet because after I flashed sprecovery an turned my phone back on it appeared as if my when through the boot animation twice, which scared me but it did boot up. any suggestions?

any help???

devator22

Reaction score

any help???

I have been having some problems with getting into recovery when I power on and hold x. However, I noticed that if you use the RM option to boot into recovery, it works. Or, if you have a ROM that supports it, you can use the reboot command from a terminal. (The command is different for different ROMs. Check the documentation.)
P.S. I too have had a lot of problems with using RM to install ROMs. I only use it to update CW and re-flash CW when it breaks.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
ROM Manager is very fickle. There are a couple of steps you can do that will make RM work better for you.

First and foremost....... always clear the download cache in RM. To do this go into RM > menu > clear download cache. I do this everytime I want to do anything in RM.

Second, whenever possible, I run WiFi when downloading trough RM. Using WiFi instead of your 3G makes RM download faster and more complete. Less changes of a corrupted download.

I have been using RM since I rooted and have had only a few minor problems with it. Once I started do the above 2 steps, no more issues with RM.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, after flashing a recovery method TEST the reboot into recovery to see if it took so you are not caught unaware.