"cannot play video"

qwerty04

Reaction score
I sent a video through email that I shot on my droid and sent a copy to myself. When I tried to preview the video, it said "cannot play video." Can anyone tell me why it cannot play the video? Its not important but I want to make sure everything works on my droid.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
The Droid saves video in 3gp format. Windows media player can't play it without downloading a codec for 3gp. I believe Quicktime Player will play it. Otherwise, download one of the many free 3gp to avi/mpeg/whatever converters out there and convert it to a more PC friendly format.

OP
Q

qwerty04

Reaction score
Actually I sent the video on my droid and tried to preview it on gmail on my droid. And it said cannot play video

D

dvdcatalyst

instead of preview in gmail, select download, then it should play just fine on the Droid.

to view on a PC or Mac, Quicktime should play it

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
instead of preview in gmail, select download, then it should play just fine on the Droid.

Not so with my Droid.

I recorded two videos, and they will not play on the

KM player (I get a remote call procedure fail)
and the VLC player.

Any help, or work around?

D

dvdcatalyst

Not so with my Droid.

and the VLC player.

VLC should play it, unless the files are corrupted. If they play on the Droid (after you recorded them) they should play. That would be the first thing I'd try.

Maybe the upload to gmail ended up incomplete/corrupting the files. Or maybe the files did not record properly.

Otherwise, install Quicktime, as I mentioned before.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Not so with my Droid.

and the VLC player.

VLC should play it, unless the files are corrupted. If they play on the Droid (after you recorded them) they should play. That would be the first thing I'd try.

Otherwise, install Quicktime, as I mentioned before.

The Droid's 3gp video does indeed play on both XP via Quicktime (and more than likely VLC) and it even plays on WMP in Win7...

So I agree with you that the file may potentially be corrupted

D

dvdcatalyst

Probably something happened with the upload to gmail.

rather than using the web browser, try using an actual email program with your ISP email to send the file to a gmail addy, and see if it plays then. Or, see if you run into the same problem (I know it defeats the purpose, but just to test it) if you upload the 3gp file using XP/Win7 to gmail.

D

dvdcatalyst

Frickin' quicktime. Use VLC!

Quicktime is more mainstream unfortunately. everyone who has a *couch* ipod/iphone/ipad has it installed. In addition, VLC is less picky in terms of bad video files, so if you want to email your video's to someone else, play-testing it in VLC is not really going to tell you if it works or not. Quicktime whines if the file is corrupted, so it provides a better method of testing your files.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Frickin' quicktime. Use VLC!

Quicktime is more mainstream unfortunately. everyone who has a *couch* ipod/iphone/ipad has it installed. In addition, VLC is less picky in terms of bad video files, so if you want to email your video's to someone else, play-testing it in VLC is not really going to tell you if it works or not. Quicktime whines if the file is corrupted, so it provides a better method of testing your files.

Good points. Still, I will never install Quicktime on any computer I own. Put me in front of a PC that has it installed and I will hunt down and exterminate qttask.exe from the registry.

vedwed

Reaction score
Piss on Apple and quicktime, If it comes from apple I refuse to own it.
That being said, I have that same issue sometimes with downloaded videos when I try to run them, and the weird thing is they will not give me the same error the next time I try and run em...go figure. Worse thing is my Droid is not even a week old

mwhitten1977

Reaction score
Video Won't Play

Sorry. My video never plays. Even when I try everything that I ever hear suggested.

I can't even find the right app to download that will play videos. Maybe my Droid phone is defective or something...but it works fine otherwise.

I think that people have probably grown tired of this question, but I never have found an answer that works.

Learn how to write a clearer response. Take some time and really explain it.

-Kidx

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I read the op the wrong way lol, he shot a video using the camera, i was thinking he was just trying to watch a video he downloaded.

though depending on roms if it has a edited build.prop file it might not save .3gp it could save as mpg or mp4... I think thats what the high quality hacks do.

though I must put my vote in for vlc. screw quicktime and it detecting bad files or whatever. if it plays ok in vlc then the file is fine and it's quicktime that has issues with the codec settings imo. besides, it's available on basically all major platforms. your friends can just use vlc too ><

I don't know a better video player then vlc. It's like the x264 of video players...

Last edited: