Can someone help me with voice dialing?

JohnnyDanger79

Reaction score
I posted this same question in another forum, but Im going to attempt to get an answer here. Im just really in need of an answer because my dad is ready to return his phone if he cant get this to work.

My dad just got a Droid 2 from Verizon. Hes trying to use the voice dialing feature by holding down the search button and saying "call (inster name here) home (or cell)". When he does this, it brings up options to call other companies and people, but more from the internet. The call search will not dial from his contacts. When he says "call" then a phone number, that works fine.

When I do the same thing on my Samsung Captivate it dials the person in my contacts right away. Ive gone to the settings and made sure that contact are listed in searchable items. We have been trying to get this to work for about a hour and not one call command from the contacts has worked.

Can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Speech Maven

Reaction score
Gmail contacts

Does your dad have the contacts listed in his gmail account?

Kermitdj

Reaction score
Uh shouldn't he be hitting voice command icon? Not the search button..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Long holding the search button does bring up the voice command

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Kermitdj

Reaction score
There is an icon for it. It does everything. The other button searches online. I couldn't figure it out at first.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

If it says google in the voice box, it's the wrong voice command box.

OP
J

JohnnyDanger79

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. Still havent figured this out.

My dad does not have his contacts listed with Gmail. Will that make a difference.

And as spaz33g said, long pressing the search button bring ups the voice command, which he is doing to try to get the voice dialing to work.

Kermitdj

Reaction score
As I said before, if it says "GOOGLE" on the voice search box, it's not the right one. That's google search, which searches the internet for matching terms of what you speak.

If you want address searching, as I've said, there should be an icon you can hit or hot-key allowing you to say "Call Dad" or "Check Status" etc. This is what you need to be looking for, as far as I'm aware.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First off the native search WILL display contacts and were not talking about pressing the search button were talking about long pressing it.

Kermitdj

Reaction score
First off the native search WILL display contacts and were not talking about pressing the search button were talking about long pressing it.

Well, please, accept my apologies for trying to assist. Please, take it from here. I'll observe and wait for the correct answer. :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All i'm trying to say is that long pressing the search button will indeed bring up the voice command. There's no need for finding an icon.

Kermitdj

Reaction score
And all I'm saying is, this doesn't seem to be working, so there's no harm in trying to find an icon to click, to double check that it is indeed working properly. There's no harm in being thorough, and trying multiple routes.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. Sorry for being short with you. However if long pressing the search button brings up the voice command I don't know what opening it by another method will do for you.

OP
J

JohnnyDanger79

Reaction score
I can have my dad try from the app itself (voice search) but I too dont know if that will make a difference. I will have him try it and get back to me tomorrow since its kind of late.

If that doesnt work, do you have any other suggestions?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm with my girl right now and I don't want to look like a freak making all kinds of voice commands, although she probably thinks that lol. I'll get on it when she goes to bed and see if I can't come up with something.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Alright so I think the contacts being attached to google may be the key. I was able to use voice search to call my mom and girlfriend, who are both attached to google, it worked just fine. Then I created a new contact on the phone named steve and gave him the number to a friends land line. When I used the search app and said "call steve" it did what you said your dad was experiencing, it brought up a bunch of companies starting with steve that i've never heard of.